IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen a lot of the Open Seat posts and those filling are usually asked to bring the same thing - equipment, herring, lunch and the unknown - help pay for gas. Is there an understood rate range, say $5 - $10 depending on how many seats or are we looking at $25 - $30? More? Guide rates? I have absolutely no idea. If I need to hop a ride to learn a new area or invite someone to go with me, I sure would like to know what to expect and to be fair with ifishers who have rode with others. Anyone filling a spot or taking people have any info to share? :shrug:

·
Registered
13,824 Posts
It is not legal to demand money in trade for a fishing trip unless you are a guide( disclaimer).

If someone offers a seat. They may not expect any money at all. It depends on the captain.

With that said, it depends on the trip.

Bouy 10 for example can be a pretty expensive trip to run. It is real easy to break 100-150 a day. So when friends take me there, I start throwing 20s at them til they say "Stop. That is enough" 50 bucks on a spendy trip will get you invited back. 25 may please lots of folks. It depends on how many dudes are in the boat that day.If my buddy has 4 guys in the boat besides me and him, I pay less. But I always ask.

On a more local trip, 25 may be high, and 15 may be lower end.

Sometimes it is best to ask.

Now I know it sounds expensive to fork over 50 bucks a day for a trip. But I am a boat owner( have been for most of my adult life) and the cost of owning the boat, gas to the fishing spot, bait, tackle, upkeep, launches, insurance, all of it, is a lot of money. I could go on 4-5 guided trips a month for what it costs me to run my own ride.

If you invite yourself along, I will want more from you than if I had invited you myself. If you offered me 5 bucks after a day in Astoria, you would never get invited back on my boat.

Mark and the 50 gallon tank full of premium, a gallon of 2 cycle oil, 5 bucks at the launch, 20 in terminal gear and upkeep, 20 in bait, 20 in gas for the pickup down and back, you borrowed my raingear and tore a hole in them,where are you when it is time to clean the boat?,I cleaned the fish as you watched and drank a beer, and I made the lunch dog.

None of this indicates I am mad at my front seaters. It is just experiences I have had.Oh yeah, I have taken a few folks fishing in my life. I have NEVER profited from it. I broke even maybe 6 times ever. There are a lot of unseen expenses for a boat owner.

Why do I do it? Cause I love it.

My 2 cents. Is that enough?

[ 08-03-2003, 03:46 PM: Message edited by: Flatfish ]

·
Registered
3,505 Posts
There is no rate range for an open seat, when I post one I am not expecting anything for the ride. Launch fees, some snacks, if it is a long way to go maybe some help with gas are sure nice. I figure I am going to go anyway and if I can make a freind and maybe learn something from them it is a good day. If someone is having a hard time I am just happy to help get them on the water. If I am going with someone in their boat I like to give them something for gas, and get the launch. If we don't get any fish I ask for a refund :wink: (jk)

·
Registered
7,004 Posts
When I have posted, responded or filled an open seat I have no expectations other than meeting someone new and enjoying a days fishing. Anytime I have posted an open seat I was going anyway and it's alot easier with someone else in the boat to anchor, net fish etc.

When I fish in the spring I have my boat moored and only run the trolling motor so the expense is minimal.Nine times out of ten I will turn down an offer to pay. I have found money hidden and left behind after the season when cleaning out the boat even though it wasn't expected.

Trips to the coast are expensive and if someone offers to kick in and help with gas and bait I will except but is not expected. Keeps mama happy. My friends that I fish with all have an understanding because were all boat owners and know what a fishing trip entails and costs.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks flatfish, fish on, Pearl for such quick responses - Lot's to consider and quite a range of things to think about. Your answers are just what I was hoping to see. Hope this helps some of the "wonderers", too.

·
Registered
12,322 Posts
No charge. I'm going fishing anyhow. Just be sure to pass the favor on. But don't ever take Tilla. He will study your every move, memorize all the fishy spots, analyze your best baits, then bring his Big Bazooba Boat to your river and fish it clean out.

[ 08-03-2003, 05:21 PM: Message edited by: Thumper ]

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
I think you should always offer to help with expenses. This is especially true on an ocean trip where the boat might burn $20-$100 in gas depending on the trip. Even if the captain says no, at least you were courteous enough to offer.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Well said; I don't expect anything in most cases as I am going any way. Towing and running to spots can burn a lot of gas, so the times I have been given gas money have been appreciated.

A cool gesture of appreciation for a day of fishing is helping to clean up if possible.

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
I think it is the offer to help out more than anything that counts to me. When I go, I don't expect anything except the offer to help out. An offer to be there early to help prep the boat for the trip, or to stay late and help with the clean up go along way in my book. I always appreciate the offer to help with the launch fee's and bait. Most of the time, I turn down gas money as I am going anyway but the offer is appreciated.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts