IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My father is taking a job down in grants pass. :shocked: He'll be living in the town of Rogue river. Anyone out there want to help him out with some fishing knowledge?? He has lived in portland forever and knows little about the rogue, other than we have a feeling you folks do things a bit differently down there. I.e. anchovie spinners half pounders (what is a half pounder by the way)? Him and I will be down there monday and tuesday to look for a place for him to live. Is there any fishing going on now in the grants pass area?? Would it be worthwhile to bring the rods? I suppose this is kinda like when a new kid shows up at school and the teacher needs someone to show him around! :wink: :grin: Any help would greatly appreciated. I'm sure he would appreciate other local info about golf and all sorts of other things also.

Email me and I'll divulge a ph# if anyone can help

Thank you

Mike H.

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
there are steelhead still available (a lot of downers) and spring salmon. The salmon bank options are a little "different" in the GP area for springers. Definitely worth bringing the rods though. Email me if you want more info.

RF

P.S. he lucked out to get a job and be moving down here :grin: . He's going to find out what he's been missing. Tell him not to tell anyone :wink:

[ 04-16-2003, 02:01 PM: Message edited by: RogueFishr ]

·
Banned
2,510 Posts
Rainie Falls below Galice gets hot in early May for Springers (a couple o mile hike) and when they get up to Gold Rey Dam if you have a drift boat, the back, and guts to fish next to a bunch of guides that hate privates, the fishing can be great, back bounce eggs & sand shrimp. I tried to fish the Rogue between Grants Pass and Galice one year without anything to show for it (but I don't profess to have known what I was doing) one year. If you have the guts to fish the upper Rogue below the hatchery (ugly crowds) Have patience and expect to spend a bunch of time for a fish (unless you're good at snagging, there's a big bunch of them (snaggers) up there). Half pounders are steelhead that are up in the river for no apparent reason before they are mature. They can be thick and hit on a half of a worm with a red bead above a small (~#4 hook)... expect to get a full size steelhead, chinook jack or a coho in the process. You never know on the Rogue!

·
Registered
7,921 Posts
When he gets settled I'll be glad to show him around a bit. I'm tied up for the next couple of weeks...but maybe later on? The Rogue gets three runs of salmon and three runs of steelhead
There's a spring and fall run of chinooks, and a late fall run of cohos. We get a summer run that shoots into the upper river in July, the fall run (that made the Rogue famous), and a winter run. He will have access to some pretty good fishing right in his backyard

·
Banned
7,726 Posts
If you can swing by the GP BiMart on Monday, I will be there around mid day and would be happy to help you out and welcome you to God's land.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Great news Mike.
I loved living in Rogue River for 4 years, just over a mile down river from the "bridge" fifteen years ago, working with fond memories.
In Rogue River, under the south side of the "Green Bridge" that you see from the Southbound I-5 off-ramp, is Your Boat Ramp .
Also from Rogue River Boat Ramp turn South on Rogue River Hwy to head towards Gold Hill. Some guys fish Rock Point, the north side of the old white concrete bridge on the way to Gold Hill. Another river access from Gold Hill, take Hwy 234 over the railroad tracks and beyond the baseball field in Gold Hill Recreation Park is the put-in boat ramp below the dangerous Concrete Diversion Dam. Some guys fish the railroad bridge in Gold Hill, I used a drift boat.
Another public river access is the next off ramp South on I-5 for Valley of the Rogue State Park. A nice, easy drift back to Rogue River. From Valley of the Rogue, drive under I-5 and onto the frontage road back to Rogue River to circle back, avoiding the Interstate and coming into Rogue River from the south.
From Rogue River, take Rogue River Hwy towards Grants Pass, you'll see the public park with boat ramp just above Savage Rapids Dam. You can also park at Savage Rapids Dam to check out river conditions below.
Aahh, I could go on and on. I had such good times down there way back then. I believe you're in for some very good fishing also.

·
Banned
7,726 Posts
Bankbound,

No, I don't work for BiMart but I work IN BiMarts.

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you for all your replies and emails!!! :smile: Rogue fisher I'm sure your info will start me out on the right foot
Granstpastor, I keep track of your posts you share alot of good info and seem to catch a ton of fisH! I'm sure dad would love to fish with you sometime.
Snakebite the half pounder tips will be put to the test for sure
Straydog maybe I'll just have to do that. If that where you work?

Once again thanks!!

MH

1 - 8 of 8 Posts