IFish.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I took a day off today in hopes of chasing long fin. Forcast looked great, smooth water, little wind. Had good numbers to chase fish by... But heavy fog stopped us in our tracks. With no radar on the boat and visibility at 100 feet, I won't take the chance. Just wanted to let everyone know the conditions in case your in the same situation. I've only got so much vacation, so when I take a day off I try to make it count. Too bad Mother Nature didn't see it my way.:wink:

It's 1:47 pm and I still can't see the ocean from my window (I live in South Beach).

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Likely clear once you are out there. Radar is great!
We tried calling out to the dogs to see if anyone cleared the fog yet. No one had (at least as far as my radio could reach). Although the only reports we got were from boats that were in 200 - 300 ft of water.

This may be a stupid question, but is there anyway to know the prediction for thick fog? I've been living on the coast for 7 years and it seems like the fog will roll in if it's been hot in the valley for about 3 days. Other than that, is there a more scientific way?:shrug:

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
there is always the fog rock....you set it on the neighbors fence. if you cant see it in the morning....its foggy :grin: seems like when the valley high temps exceed ours here on the coast by more than 15 degrees we almost always get a morning fog....

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
there is always the fog rock....you set it on the neighbors fence. if you cant see it in the morning....its foggy :grin: seems like when the valley high temps exceed ours here on the coast by more than 15 degrees we almost always get a morning fog....
:laugh::laugh:That's great. I need to get one of these.

·
Registered
4,387 Posts
Call me crazy but I don't mind the fog at all. Long as you have a good plotter and a back up, the fog can be a nice smooth ride out. I remember one day last year Tuna fishing where we ran for 30 plus miles in fog that you couldn't even see 100' in.

Most of the times the fog lifts once you get a little offshore. When it reaches temps from the mid 90's and up in the valley... chances are there will be fog. Just learn to expect and trust your electronics.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Call me crazy but I don't mind the fog at all. Long as you have a good plotter and a back up, the fog can be a nice smooth ride out. I remember one day last year Tuna fishing where we ran for 30 plus miles in fog that you couldn't even see 100' in.

Most of the times the fog lifts once you get a little offshore. When it reaches temps from the mid 90's and up in the valley... chances are there will be fog. Just learn to expect and trust your electronics.
Thanks TB. I have a plotter on the boat and a backup handheld gps. What makes me nervous is not seeing other boats, or crab pots in the water. One of these days I will invest in radar and all will be good with the world. Just need to save some more of these :twocents::twocents::twocents:.

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
Thanks TB. I have a plotter on the boat and a backup handheld gps. What makes me nervous is not seeing other boats, or crab pots in the water. One of these days I will invest in radar and all will be good with the world. Just need to save some more of these :twocents::twocents::twocents:.
I agree - I wouldn't run in the fog without radar. Seems too often I've come across BIG boats, including tugs and barges, in my path that I've had to change course to get around. Without radar it would be dangerous.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts