IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was flyfishing for them on the Oxbow resivor a few weeks back and hooked into a 30lb Carp. It had me in my backing in about 3 seconds. Just wondering if any messes around in the Portland area ever. Something to do until the good fish show up.

·
Administrator
41,361 Posts
What good fishing are you waiting for? B 10 is red hot, the Columbia is rockin', steelies and trout in the Deschutes, smallies in the Willamette, there's a ton of good fishing right now!

·
Registered
803 Posts
I've been flyfishing for carp 20 years or so. Got on to it by my inability to catch smallmouth on the fly. I saw a carp tailing in the shallow riffles and thought, "what the heck, give him a shot" and he took my black woolly worm and had me into my backing in a flash. Since then the sport has grown quite a bit. They now call them the "poor mans bonefish". They've even been on ESPN's Walker's Cay Chronicles. What pattern were you using on Oxbow? Also, like Pete said, "What good fish are you waiting for?" Tuna don't come up the C.

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
Saw a show on TV where they were fishing for grass carp with a fly in Florida. They used a fly tied to look like a berry that the carp would eat when they fell off a bush into the water.

The fights didn't last too long but that first minute or so.......WOW, look out.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
When they were Clooping ( feeding on the surface ) I was using a mosiquito pattern. If they were bellow the surface I was using a purple bead head woolly bugger. Sorry for the lousy spelling. Catching them with the top water fly was I don't know how to describe it, amazing. As for the fight not lasting to long, it depended on the fish. Some lasted a couple of minutes but a few went over 5 minutes and I was fishing 10lb tippet and a 7/8 weight rod. While it was fun it seemed like a waste of time because they are so NASTY. I see people keeping them to eat all the time. And when I do I thank God that I have a good job and can afford to buy food.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
To you guys talking about the other good fishing LETS GO. I'm more than willing to put in my fare share of money. 2 things though, I don't drink and I don't fish without my 15 year old son.

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
Anybody ever try eating a carp? The reason they were brought over from Europe was because they were considered excellent table fare. A Portland restauranteer had some of the first Oregon carp in a pond at Troutdale but the 1894 flood liberated them...and the rest is history.

I did eat a fish once that very much resembled a carp at a restaurant in Hong Kong...you selected the fish you wanted from a holding pen...and 15minutes later it was cooked and served up on a plate in front of you. As I recall, it was good eats!

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The story I've heard is back befor the flood they would catch the Carp and put them in their bath tubs or something like that for a week or so. The clean water would flush the meat out and remove the muddy flavor. I only have one thing to say about that !

CATCH AND RELEASE BABY CATCH AND RELEASE.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
There is a small lake/pond near the corner of Murray and Scholls here in Beaverton that has some huge Carp in it. I have watched others fish in this lake, but have never seen any thing caught. Well, thats not true, I did see an Osprey grab a nice fish out of it one day. I have wondered what would work for these Carp, as they reall are big....

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Wait for them to start clooping. Put a dry fly about 2 feet infront of them and wait. They have very soft rubbery mouths and always hook themselves when they take the fly. Becareful though, the first 10 seconds the fish is going 70 miles an hour. If you see them mudding up the bottom use a crawfish or woolley bugger pattern and drag it across the bottom. I've found that they aren't line shy.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The hole point of this is catch & release . Take your bow and get me some venison.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts