IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
3661 - 3680 of 3719 Posts

·
Registered
3,654 Posts
And last but not least for my weekend tribute to Rob Halliday is a pattern of my own that he borrowed from me and tied himself and I'm re-posting it here. Farewell my friend.

Plant Beak Phasianidae Fishing lure Bait

·
Registered
3,654 Posts
Insect Sky Arthropod Organism Terrestrial plant

The Royal Coachman was first tied as a traditional winged wet fly and is a derivative of the Coachman wet fly. Mary Orvis Marbury in her Favorite Flies and Their Histories (1892) tells the story of its creation as follows:
The Royal Coachman was first made in 1878 by John Haily, a professional fly-dresser living in New York City. In writing of other matters, he enclosed a sample of this fly for us to see, saying: "A gentleman wanted me to tie some Coachmen for him to take up into the north woods, and to make them extra strong, so I have tied them with a little band of silk in the middle, to prevent the peacock bodies from fraying out. I have also added a tail of the barred feathers of the wood-duck, and I think it makes a very handsome fly." A few evenings later, a circle of us were together "disputing the fly question," one of the party claiming that numbers were "quite as suitable to designate the flies as so many nonsensical names." The others did not agree with him, but he said: "What can you do? Here is a fly intended to be a Coachman, yet it is not the true Coachman; it is quite unlike it, and what can you call it?" Mr. L. C. Orvis, brother of Mr. Charles Orvis, who was present, said: "Oh, that is easy enough; call it the Royal Coachman, it is so finely dressed!" And this name in time came to be known and used by all who are familiar with the fly

·
Registered
3,654 Posts
Sky Natural material Feather Wing Electric blue

Originated by Tom Larimer The Irish Car Bomb (fly) is named after the drink. A half pint of Guinness, with a shot glass full of a half shot of Jameson and a half shot of Baileys dropped into it boilermaker style after a late night tying session with perhaps a few to many.

·
Registered
3,654 Posts
Bait Wing Feather Fishing bait Terrestrial plant

This is a variation of Harry Lemire's Harry Kari. Harry first tied it as a nymph pattern in 1957 for fishing lakes in Canada. He later added a wing of bucktail and found it to be excellent for steelhead in Washington and British Columbia. I have had some succes with it tied with Gray Squirrel tail as the wing.

·
Registered
3,654 Posts
Sky Arthropod Electric blue Wing Invertebrate

Doug Stewart created the Max Canyon in the early 1970’s for the Deschutes River and the canyon of the same name. Stewart combined black from the Skunk and orange from Brad’s Brat, two popular steelhead flies, to come up with the Max Canyon. It became an instant hit on the Deschutes and soon became a popular fly on other steelhead rivers and still in use today. It's been said that the word Max was used instead of the real name of Mack's Canyon to throw people off and keep them away.

3661 - 3680 of 3719 Posts