IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 20 of 3719 Posts

·
Registered
9,247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
IS there anyway we can get a sticky fly tying thread/fly's thread where we can ask questions about flys and tying and share different flys?

·
Registered
9,247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wow thats a nice fly! I'll go first with the questions since im a beginner, can you use normal thread for like sewing to tie?

·
Registered
373 Posts
You can. Though sewing thread has a fairly large diameter most of the time. Really the only things it is good for is really large flies. Works great on steelhead jigs also. For most trout and steelhead/salmon flies you will find it is MUCH easier to tie with fly tying thread.

Wish I had a better camera, I'd post up some of mine.

·
Registered
9,247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok thanks, I need to buy sme tying thread then, any recommendations? Cause I got a cabelas kit for christmas and the thread seems to break alot.

·
Banned
1,232 Posts
How far are you from your nearest fly tying shop?

I like to use. 6/0 uni. http://rmdstore.com/thread-12/?zenid=a7b706335a200daacff30f2246ece326

You don't have to put tons of pressure on material to keep it on a hook. Thicker thread builds bulk quickly which can be bad for many fly patterns.

You first need to determine what you want to catch, the flies that are best suited for that, and then the materials to build those flys. Generally speaking, black or red 6/0 uni can be used to tie almost every pattern you want to fish with.....

You are starting so I make some generalizations, but the fine details take years and most are well beyond my desires or needs.....

A few I have tied and caught fish with......

·
Registered
374 Posts
I will play.. I just started tying about 2 weeks ago, but picked it up pretty quick..

Another verson..

Hook: size 2 dai-riki #899
Thread: (top) 8/0 red uni (bottom) 8/0 black uni
Body: (top) blue Pop-A-Top yarn pulled apart to dub very thin and flat silver mylar ribbing (bottom) peacock mylar
Front Hackle: (top) natural guinea (bottom) purple saddle
Rear Hackle: (top) red saddle (bottom) purple saddle
Thorax: (behind both front and rear hackle) 3 pieces of peacock herl (tied tight behing the hackle to keep it from folding when wet)
Tail: (top) small guinea feather on top of a red saddle tip (bottom) purple saddle tip

·
Registered
373 Posts
Good point!

I don't have a name for mine... just kinda made it up..
:yeahthat: Sort of. Many of these are custom flies and thus don't have a name, and even if it did it wouldn't help you in any way because the pattern is so unique. The best thing to do would be to post up some material lists.

·
Registered
9,247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the thread advice! I will try to get a picture of my flys tonight. Those flys look very tasty!

·
Registered
856 Posts
:yeahthat: Sort of. Many of these are custom flies and thus don't have a name, and even if it did it wouldn't help you in any way because the pattern is so unique. The best thing to do would be to post up some material lists.
I see your point, and yes a materials list could be helpful. I know that I substitute materials regulary. The real test is at the water.

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
I'll play - here's some I tied up tonight...

The gold bead body I call a Goldie Lochs - the other is my take on a huge Copper John (it's tied on a size 8 XL shank mustad streamer hook)

The ones in the left column a friend of mine dubbed "Flying Chainsaw Demons" - the name fits and I can't think of a better one. The other column is generic peacock bodied flies, and some black bead bodied nymphs.

Black rabbit strip buggers - split tails, and a pair of egg-sucking versions.

Just a little bit of what I've tied up lately.

·
Registered
210 Posts
stillnscribs - nice ties! The final three are some of my favorites but the Lady is supreme!

What is the overwing on the GBS single? I like the sleekness of that tie.

1 - 20 of 3719 Posts