IFish.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to alaska this summer to fish for silvers and what ever else might be in the rivers at that time. I heard that its real fun to fly fish for silvers. I have never fly fished for salmon before and was wondering if anybody can give me some advice like what kind of rod & reel I should buy and types of flys and stuff like that. I dont need to get the best fly rod just one that will work good enough for the trip because after that I dont think I will fly fish much. Thanks.

·
Registered
6,494 Posts
9ft 8wt loomis gl3 ross cimmeron in the appropriat size a good quality fly line with interchangeable tips. flies should be large streamers and marabou patterns like thoes from the Alaskabou series, pollywogs and dalberg divers also.. purples ,pink red and orange.. good luck have fun

·
Registered
10,320 Posts
Where are you going in AK? That could make a difference as well.

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
I would say you are probally safe with an 8wt. Excellent all around rod for summer Steelhead and silvers. You might want to check out a Rainshadow for a decent priced rod. If you aren't going to use it much no point in spending a fortune on one. I spent many summers catching steelhead with a pflueger medalist reel and a fiberglass fly rod, there are many times I wish life was still that simple :smile:

I was just looking in the IFISH classifieds and there is an 8wt for sale over there. Might be worth a look.

[ 06-14-2003, 08:04 PM: Message edited by: firedog ]

·
Registered
7,797 Posts
Go with an 8 wt...or lighter (7 wt). I agree with the advice concerning a Pflueger Medallist reel...inexpensive and has a better drag than my $250 Hardys. When I lived in Alaska my impression was that silvers are the most cooperative biters of all Pacific Salmon. Many larger Steelhead and streamer flies will work. The simpler the better. Depending on the depth and flow of the water you will fish, you might want to pick up a sink tip line. If the depths are 3-5 feet a floating line will do. If possible use polarized sunglasses, locate the fish and cast to them. They are great fighters. Watch your behind. Bears are interested in them too.

·
Registered
12,166 Posts
8 wt. rod and reel, wt. forward line. For flies, bring a fly called a popsicle, a pink polywog, some egg sucking leeches, glo bugs, flesh flies, Tinsel flies (tinsel streamers). If you have time, just stop in at a good fly shop and they will recommend
others, but these should get you into fish.

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
As for poles, there are many less than $100 that will do a great job......you do not need to spend $300 or whatever on a Gloomis or Sage rod. For reels I would reccomend one of the cassette type reels, they are inexpensive and have a good drag system, plus you can have an extra line spooled up on cassette without having to spend another $50 or more for an extra spool.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Chinookie is selling a Rogue 8 weight in the classifieds for $90.00. That would be a great rod for what you want to do.

Mike

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
I have fished in Alaska and B.C. for silvers for several years. All I can tell you is go with an 8wt, minimum. 9 or 10wt are overkill, but there are rivers up in AK that have runs of LARGE fish, averaging in the teens and 20s and you might want to up the weight a little.

Go with a good reel. Ross reels are the best drag to price ratio I have found, and they have a watertight warrantee.

As for flies, all the suggestions above are awesome, but stock up on bunny leeches. I have taken more salmon on bunny leeches than any other fly, they're easy to tie, and they fish well. Sometimes sparse streamers out-fish everything else. Good luck!!

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the help because I pretty much dont know anything fly fishing . I will be fishing in South East Alaska.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts