IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve read about the demise of trout fishing for trout in Davis lake OR. Does anyone have a currant report on its comeback?

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
After the fly guys whined to ODFW and got them to shock it every year for a decade the bass are nowhere near where they were.
The year this pic was taken the lake went low and really hurt the trout and killed off most of the chubs. The trout have never come back to the level I saw before then. I'd go out before sun up and giants would be chasing schools of little fish all over.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
It will come close to going dry this year. The faster Wickiup goes down, the faster it pulls water from Davis. Davis is already down about 2 feet from where it was 3 weeks ago. The Odell channel on the south end it only shin deep, which is not good for this time of year.

Davis used to be my favorite lake in all of Oregon back in the 90's and early 2000's until some idiot put bass in and the dry years started taking its toll on the lake. It's a faint shadow of it's former glory. I pulled more 26"+ fish out of that lake than all others combined.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you all for your information even if it’s mostly bad news. I fished it back in the 90s and grew to love this lake. Large trout and throwing drys at feeding fish. Me and some buds are going on a fly fishing trip early June, any recommendations?

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
It's super low. Good luck launching anything bigger than a canoe/kayak/float tube/pontoon/maybe a pram. That being said, the fly fishing for bass is really good

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
It’s nowhere near low. I’m sitting here looking at 8 boats, at least 12 on the water including numerous aluminum boats, some with outboards. It’ll have to drop another 3’ to clean some of these jokers out.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts