IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if anyone has run accross any flounder recently. Im thinking of trying for some. Any particular place on the Columbia or North Coast bays?
thanks! :shocked:

·
Registered
236 Posts
I never fish down there but have a great lure selection for you....I used to fish alot of bass tournys and I often thought about trying lures that produce sound for salt water fish....so I did some expermenting and came up with a winner. For flounder fishing I like a white bucktail jig on power pro line, before you tie the bucktail on slide a brass 1/4 oz bass slip sinker up your line followed by a plastic bead. tip the jig with a small bit of squid. cast it out and hop it accross the bottem....the big guys cant stand it crawling across them and well pounce on it..>DJ

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
I saw another one at the fish cleaning station on Sunday. They are getting them on herring fishing the Columbia River estuary. Not sure how many they are getting now, but more than I can remember in the recent past.

·
Registered
740 Posts
We were cathing them in the As :dance: toria area while sturgeon fishing earlier in the year. Sarines and herring both worked for them.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Deefly,
We caught five flounder while trolling herring below Hammond. Biggest one was about 18", first time Ive landed so many. I was fishing deep for Chinooks maybe dragin bottom alittle to much.

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
We caught quite a few in June when sturgeon fishing. Got them on anchovies and smelt just out of Hammond. I also caught a really nice one sunday on a whole herring at about 45 pulls down by buoy 12.

Dipnet :grin:

·
Banned
3,904 Posts
I have seen a few starry flounder threads lately and you might do a search.

It is good to hear all the flounder reports lately and I hope it is a sign that they are coming back.

I was told 15 years ago or so that the pinnepeds were wreaking havoc with them in the estuarys by Jerry Butler and another bio.

Makes me kind of wonder if the cut backs in trawler fishing in the big blue might have something to do with the sudden apparent rebounding of the starry flounder.

I posted a pic of the one UG caught out in the ocean while we were trolling for salmon.

Dan

1 - 8 of 8 Posts