IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We're going to be in Florence area over Mem. Day weekend fishing and crabbing and was looking for any advice on best ways to catch trout in the lakes around Florence. Munsel is the closest to where we'll be but can fish wherever it's best. Need to entertain some people so any advice is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
We did good last memorial weekend on rainbows at Siltcoos Lake. They were BIG 13-18 inches. I think we caught probably 15-20 fish every time out and we only fished for about 2-3 hours each time. We trolled a set of flashers with a wedding ring, peice of worm and tipped the hook with a little ball of red powerbait.

The guy at westlake resort was helpful in telling us where the fish were. Nightingales fish camp on the other side of the lake was very knowledgeable and helpfull as well.

Sometimes you will run into schools of coho smolts and you won't be able to keep them off your hooks. Be sure you release them unharmed and you may want to move out of an area if you start catching too many.

·
Registered
110 Posts
All of the lakes down that way are loaded this time of year. Don't pass up the small puddles along 101 that you normally just blast by and catch a glimpse of. They usually get leftovers from the bigger lakes. Cow bell trolling rig with a worm behind are killer. We just use inflatables so you can hit this smaller water.

·
Registered
6,377 Posts
We had really good luck a couple yrs ago from the bank of Alder and Dune lakes (a mile or so north of Florence) using powerbait marshmallows to float a piece of worm. We used a sliding sinker stopped by a small splitshot about 16-18" above the hook. There was one that just a smidge under 20" and I was afraid we were gonna have to tag it!
This seemed to float the worm right at the top of the grass and allows good feel for the bite. We were throwing back everything under 16".
Good luck!
Jamie

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks a lot for the help, i'll be trying some of these methodsplaces in between dodging rain showers it sounds like....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts