IFish.net banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I have been tossing around the idea of getting a floating home and would like to ask those here whom either own or have owned a floating home their advice based on their experiences. Thanks in advance
Pete & Nancy

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Pros:
Living on the water. I can go fishing off my deck every day. I usually have my boat tied up out front as well. All I do is walk out and get in and ride off.
Its usually quiet and peaceful on the water.
Front row seats for the Christmas boats.
The floating home folks are different than the normal land people.
People like to come over and visit.

Cons:
The floating home folks are different than the normal land people.
People like to come over and visit.
Financially, the home loans are usually higher percentage and over a shorter time period.
Floating homes don't appreciate much in value.
No yard.

We love it, but I know it's not for everyone.

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
Mark, How is the taxing system on them? And maintenance??

·
Registered
2,824 Posts
Pro's- Fishing out the kitchen window,no yard maintnence,
You don't kill the grass when you pee outside,if you fall of the roof you'll have a soft landing.

con's- They sink in a tsunani!!

If you go by my pro's and cons it looks light a landslide! :grin:

·
Registered
6,873 Posts
A guy I work with has a floating home on the CR. I've been over to visit several times and we've talked about it at work quite a bit since I was briefly considering one.

Pros- he keeps his Weldcraft and his ski boat tied up to his back porch, er, dock. No boat ramp hassles unless he wants to fish a long ways away and needs to tow a trailer.
No yard work.
He owns his slip, so no slip rent.
Non-stop partying during the summer.
The marina has a homeowner's association, so he knows all his neighbors and they make sure everybody goes by the rules.

Cons- No garage, and the parking lot can be a long ways away. Sucks to pack groceries that far.
Any maintenance to his float has to be done by a diver.
His marina allows renters, and nobody needs to be told about the problems there.
Non-stop partying during the summer. Bad deal if you're trying to sleep.
When it's warm outside there's a constant parade of friends that want to come over whether you want them to or not.
The homeowner's association can be a pain when you want to do some work to your house and they don't like it.
Higher interest rates and insurance.

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
I grew up in gresham, and my grandparents had one at big eddy's My grandpa died, and my mom and dad took over the morage fee, and up keep on the house. So it was basically ours. Your neighbors are really close, but you usually dont have to wory about theivs, (you have to have a key or code to the main gate) and there is always that someone who knows everybody, and everything that goes on. The grocery thing isnt all that bad, you get used to it, and if you have two people each with one of those rubbermaid wheelbarrow things, you only have to make one trip. As for the partying in the summer time, you either like it or you dont, at our house, if you didnt like beer, jimmy buffet, and the occasional martini, you didnt last long, (its just the river mentality) Everyone is pretty nice though, and on our dock everyone kept quiet during the week. As far as fishing goes, it was great, my sister rented the house for a summer from my parents, and she is only a few years older than me, so i basically lived there on the weekends, it was great, my sled was in the boatwell, and nomatter how hungover i was, it still wasnt too tough to get out of bed, run up th river, toss anchor, and nurse a hangover while fishing. Fishing is no longer a half day thing, no trailering, or boat ramps. So you can fesably go salmon fishing in your boat before, or after work for a couple hours. You get more fishing time due to lack of yard work that needs to be done, and if any work needs to be done thats major, unless you dive, you cant fix it your self anyways. The winter time seemed pretty harsh, but we were never there in the winter. (we only used ours as a summer place, and didnt really live in it during the week) All in all, i wish they hadnt sold it, but then again I wasnt the one footing the bill.
Also, if you can go somewhere where you can actually buy the slip, because at the one we were at there was a 600 dollar a month morage fee, with no option to buy. I know you can buy slips at other places, and think of it as an investment, cause if you do sell, you will make money on it.
hope this helps. :cheers:

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
While we own our slip (which is a weird concept in itself), we are only taxed on the value of the house.

As for the partying, that greatly depends on the moorage. Some communities are renowned for the big shindigs while others are closer to retirement communities.

The other thing that hasn't been mentioned yet is the movement of the house. While our house doesn't move much, the occassional idiot in the big boat moving too fast will cause our house to slightly rock. Its a strange feeling to be standing in the windowless bathroom and suddenly start slowly swaying...

·
Registered
8,915 Posts
Financing can be more of a challenge than on a traditional home. It is available, but you will most likely have a higher down payment and a higher interest rate. I do not do lo9ans on floating homes, but have had some involvement in "reviewing" a few loans. Feel free to get ahold of me if you want and I will help you all I can.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Lots of pros. I am considering one myself. Man that would be fun. I talked to a realtor and he told me some lenders require 30 percent down! Also some only do 15 year loans, and yes the rate is higher than a "regular" home. Mark, that is hillarious about the "floating home people are different than land people" being under both pro and con. One more con....stumbling around drunk in the yard is not a good idea.

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
Sure would be a sobering experience! :applause:

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
I hope my home never floats. A floating home could create alot of problems. If you have a floating home call the plumber or 911 :smash:

·
Registered
17,793 Posts
Another con is young kids who can't swim - playing in the yard beings on a whole new meaning. I visited one once and one issue was that the framing in the homes is shifting all the time - one day the door opens the next its stuck kind of thing - course that one was floating on logs and barrels. Take a look at some of the big ones on the Mult. Slew - WOW!

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
Lets hope that floating homeowners never get dryrot around the toilets. Be sure to check the floors frequently. :grin:

·
Registered
5,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
A big thanks for all the advice folks. Not much time today to post more, but I'll keep you updated on what we end up doing. Thanks again all :applause:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts