IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
13,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wow, were there a bunch of dead fish floating downriver on the CR yesterday! Pretty neat to see, all appeared to be Tules, great indication of the sheer amount of fish in the system.

TR

·
Registered
160 Posts
Never makes me happy to see "lots" of dead salmon floating... Even if they are Tules. Sounds like a shame to me but then again, I dont know the cause. Its still unpleasant.

·
Registered
638 Posts
I think they may have been from a net or the dam. They had alot of seaweed on them but the bellys looked too white to be tules to me. You are right about there being a bunch of them. I didnt count but I'm sure there was atleast 6 that floated right by our boat.
-Steve

·
Registered
348 Posts
I was oversizing on sunday and saw about 10 salmon float down some were chrome bright. I think they might be sufficating* in the ladders aswell as in Tanner creek maybe..... :shrug:
:bowdown: The King

·
Premium Member
4,112 Posts
maybe they were released because they are undesirable?

·
Registered
13,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Could've been out of the nets, of course, in which case it's quite sad....but still a good indicator of how many fish there are.

TR

·
Registered
46 Posts
What are Tules? :whazzup: :blush:

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
Weeler Dealer -Tules are Columbi River Chinooks that spawn in the Lower Columbia River. They are usually darker and lower quality (pale) meat by the time they hit the CR. Some are nice quality but most are smokers or releasers.
When compared to the upriver brights (fish that spawn mostly in the Hanford Reach area) or Tributary Chinook (like Sandy)they are easily identifiable. They are bronze or darker on the back and have a kind of humpy/lumpy looking back between the dorsal and adipose.
They are raised in hatcheries mostly to provide Canadian trollers with mitigation fish so they won't catch all the Coastal Chinook heading down the West of Vancoover Island before they get here.
:cheers:

·
Administrator
119,649 Posts
ZaQ... that just isn't proper.
You should take whatever you net first, regardless if it is a buck or a hen!

Geez!!!! :mad:

Is the Carrot Milk failing? :shocked:

LOL :laugh:

In all seriousness, why would they be floating around? Nets? REALLY?

[ 09-23-2003, 07:28 PM: Message edited by: [email protected] ]

·
Banned
37,111 Posts
I know that there is no market for these dark fish. If you were using a technique that rendered fish dead when harvested what would you do (or be tempted to do) with fish that had no market value?

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
There aren't to many options, if you can't sell them. I mean really, what would you do with a bunch of dead worthless fish. You can only use so many to fertilize the yard.

I heard Spring Creek hatchery gave a bunch of tule's to the state pen a couple years ago. I can't help but laugh when I think of the inmates reading a daily menu saying "Fresh Columbia Salmon." Mmmmmm, I bet they were disappointed.

·
Registered
4,264 Posts
When you can pick and choose like that, why take bucks? I think the hens taste better, that is all.

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Tule bucks hold their color longer and are better table fare or smokers then the hens who lose their color because all their blood goes to their eggs and therefore have paler flesh and bland taste.Don't even make good smokers once their in the tribs.,and their meat is white.
Bob

·
Registered
33 Posts
I think its anglers catching a fish, holding onto it, catching a better looking fish and then discarding the tule.... I see that happen all the time! Better make sure our own house is clean before we start throwing stones....

·
Administrator
119,649 Posts
Pretty sure it was all a joke about netting, or keeping hens, guys. :smile:
Read between the "lines".

Jen

[ 09-24-2003, 08:34 AM: Message edited by: [email protected] ]

1 - 20 of 27 Posts