IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last year I was the humble recipient of a hand-me-down U-shaped float tube in excellent condition. As I have been a bait bank angler for trout for my entire career, this whole float tube thing is uncharted territory.

Is it just a bug rod scene? I've got one, but it's a 10 wt and I'm not at all good at flinging that thing. Judging by my technique I should be using a bullwhip instead.

How else can I fish this thing? Trolling? Spinners? Ideas would be most appreciated. I'll be giving this a try at a lake of my choice next weekend.

·
Premium Member
14,489 Posts
being in a float tube is like being on the willamette in a drift boat with a motor: you don't get anywhere very fast. trolling spinners is definitely out unless you're just a glutton for punishment. think of it as your own little personal boat and fish accordingly. plunking powerbait doesn't really work. flinging spinners and bobber fishing are two good choices. take that fly rod along too. you'll only get better if you use it. a lot of guys will toss out a wooly bugger and troll that since it doesn't have to go very fast to work properly.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Geek,

There are no rules, fish how you want. I fished for years out of float tubes for bass, because I didn't have a boat. It is really a great way to enjoy fishing, truly relaxing.

One word of caution: You may have to wear a full hood with mask, you are a lot closer to the water. I would hate to see you get a ticket for illegally shocking the fish! :shocked:

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ampersat:

That's kind of what I was thinking about the lure trolling. Even though I've got some pretty big feet, I didn't think that a hardware troll was going to work. The problem with flinging the bugs is that I get out fishing so seldom, and have such little room to practice here at home, that I feel like it's a wasted trip if I'm spending it cracking flies off 30 feet behind me. :shrug:

Bobbers are a good idea, as are spinners. I'm not much of a spinner guy (yes, I have fishing blinders on) but it's worth a try.

ex-tex:

These are mostly hatchery trout, so it won't be so bad if a few go belly up. At least it's safer than having to transport dynomite. :grin:

·
Registered
182 Posts
Get a lighter weight fly rod or switch to a spining rod and use a bubble and fly. You can troll anywhere with a streamer type fly. For example, I use a spruce fly when trolling in trout waters and a wooley bugger or maribou muddler when in warm water species areas. I don't troll all the time, just while I am paddling to an area I want to fish. I have a couple of 5-foot light weight spinning rods. Sometimes I take one of them along with me as well as the fly rod. My tube has some velcro holders that were meant to hold a rod while you rerig, but I've found they hold an extra rod adequately.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
I'll second the trolling around wolly buggers. My skill level with a fly rods is pretty low, so unless I am in a lake full of rising fish with a nice dry fly, skunkaroo. I started out with my flyrod to look cool, but soon realized that it was better for me to take my trout spin caster. I still try to use fly tippet material and will experiment with small split shots on the main line to get my bug into the strike zone. I like this set up because it just seemed silly to "troll" with my fly rod. I also can belly up to some lilly pads and get into some good ol' perch fishing.

Of note, if you are floatin' in the morning after a pot of coffee... :shocked:

Have fun.

Birdnest

·
Premium Member
14,489 Posts
i missed the part where you said your fly rod is a 10wt. that's way overkill for stocker trout. heck, that thing is probably too much for most steelhead. the casting float (the clear one with the surgical tubing down the middle that you can fill with water) is a good way to pitch flies using a spinning rod. i always had problems with the fly side of the line wrapping around the mainline though.

and you might want to leave those mt dews back home in the fridge. the last thing you do before you get into your tube and head is go to the bathroom. it's also the first thing you do when you get back to land.

dress warmly. remember: half of you is dangling into that chilly water. even if it's 80 degrees out, you'll probably end up getting cold.

·
Registered
9,224 Posts
You can't troll very well, but I've had good success dangling a spinner behind me as I'm moving from one place to another. I let it sink to the bottom, reel a couple of times, then start out across the lake. It moves really slowly because I'm moving really slowly!

On another note, be sure to get some kind of leash for your rod or make a rod leash.

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah, the 10 wt is a limb, alright. My dad got it for me, but he doesn't fish for anything smaller than silvers so he thinks big with most everything fishing-related. I've got a couple smaller spinning outfits and buying some clear casting bubbles wouldn't be a problem.

I usually overdress anyway, but thanks for the reminder on that one. Thanks for the reminder on the Dew, too, but if you remember correctly it I wasn't the one who had to get out and pee more than once on the float trip, amp. :wink:

Good ideas all around, folks. Keep them coming if you have more. It's greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
4,571 Posts
If you like to troll, fly gear will work much better from a tube because you can "troll" at very slow speeds. I usually troll a woollie buggar or leach while I'm finning to my desired spot. A cheap 5 wt. would suffice. One hint: cut the tail so it's just past the hook. You'll hook more fish that way.
If you want to stick with conventional gear, I'd throw little spinners.(just my preference)

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Wild Chrome,

What is it about a flyrod that allows you to troll slower? Now you have me curious.

Birdnest

·
Registered
119 Posts
I would suggest a 5 Wt. fly rod, full-sinking line, 3' of 6# flourocarbon leader. Grab a handful of black, olive and purple woolly buggers (some colors just work better on some lakes). There's no need to cast if that's a problem - just strip some line out, give a few kicks with the fins, shake the rod tip to feed the line out, then repeat. You can vary the speed with a kick of the feet, or better yet, strip the fly in slowly by twisting the line in with your fingers.
It's a great time and a nice piece of solitude on a quiet lake. Be safe - don't forget your SoSuspenders!

·
Registered
10,068 Posts
It could help you get into some of those Oregon City hoglines. :shocked:
You can also use it as a means of transportation, in other words, to get you to the other side. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Tether it to your waist and wade upstream; float back down.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Fished all of the high desert lakes in Idaho many years ago,,Mormon Reservoir, Crane Falls Lake and even Henry's Fork, with a spinning rod and a Shakespeare closed face reel . Fished wooly worms and nymphs, by far the most productive was an olive green freshwater shrimp that a guy in Boise tied. In those days they were a king's ransom of 85 cents a fly. Took me two years to save up the $50 for the "Belly Boat", and it was another 3 years before I could afford a Mitchell 300. Never used a bobber, just one cannonball split shot and trolled around the lakes. Never failed to catch fish, so don't know why it still wouldn't work. Good luck!

·
Registered
4,841 Posts
Birdnest,

Flyrod trolling works better because the flyline floats(assuming it is not a sinking line). Think of it as an elongated bobber. The leader will sink depending on it's length, and the weight of the fly but it probably won't be dragging bottom. You could get the same effect trolling a tear drop(or trolling bobber) with a leader/fly.
Geek, you might be able to get away trolling a very light spinner providing it has larger french-style blades that don't need a bunch of pull to get working. Willow leaf style like Rooster Tails you'd need to be going along at a good clip, might have to flap them ears a bit!!! :tongue: :grin:
You could pull a crankbait(plug) and have some fun, I've done that a few times in the past.
One other thing no one mentioned. Don't just jump in your tube and start paddling like mad. Warm up a bit first. You'll be using muscles you may never have known existed and the first charlie horse you get could be quite painful, colder the water the quicker you can get one, or TWO if you really are unlucky... :shocked:

·
Premium Member
14,489 Posts
i think i paid a whopping $40 for my entire 5-6wt fly rig, rod, reel, backing, WF floating line and all. it comes as a set and they have 'em at gi joes and bimart, but i got mine through cabelas. the lightweight gear sure makes those little stockers fun. i can't wait to hook into a holdover.

as for the, um, coffee, i have a love/hate relationship with it: i love it, my kidneys hate it.

do i smell a float tube floatilla in the air?

·
Registered
7,921 Posts
The reason it works to "troll" a fly from a float tube is that the flies mentioned don't need to move much or fast to interest the trout.
You can also "dead drift" a nymph, or let it hang in the surface film. If your lake has weed beds, a dragonfly nymph fished along the edge might interest a big boy. I agree that a five wt outfit would be a good choice

1 - 20 of 39 Posts