IFish.net banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
float rigging ?

Just bought a new steelhead float rod and reel (lamiglass 9'6" & Okuma epixor ef 30, came with two spools). In the past I have just used one of my drift rods to float fish with. I want this to be set up as a dedicated float rod. My question is what would be best in terms of line. I have been told everything from 50lb tuff in yellow with floatant on it to straight 8-10 ultra green. I would love some imput . Thanks in advance... Sled Dog

·
Banned
8,867 Posts
Re: float rigging ?

for steelhead i would use 12# mono of whatever brand your most confident in

For springers same confidence in your brand of mono but I bump up to 20#

Tight lines

·
Ichthyomaniac
3,187 Posts

In my experience, float fishing is like fly fishing in that you always want to know where your line is and be able to move it, mend it, lift it over obstacles, etc. Because braided lines float and are very visible, they work very well as main line. Before I discovered this, I tried bobber fishing with maxima chameleon, and it was a nightmare.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts

i agree with riverkeeper. i have found that mono doesn't float nearly long enough to get a long drift out of and it gets caught in the fast water real easy if you are fishing a seam from the wrong side. i use my steelhead rod with 50# tuff line i use for chinook and it works better than my spinning and casting reels with mono. just my .02. BTS

·
Registered
1,154 Posts

congrats on buying a nice setup...it will be lots of fun for you. I have a 9.5 ft spinning rod for float fishing and it has really worked well for me.

Be sure you check the line for fraying as the season goes by. I've lost a few fish on broken lines due to my spinning reel being a bit more abrasive to the line than a levelwind used to be.

HC

·
Registered
10,493 Posts

I go back and forth between 8 lb Ande or Maxima ultragreen, and 14 or 20 lb fireline. The braid floats, but I just don't seem to like it, can't tell you why.

If you want your mono to float, get some mucilin line dressing from the fly fishing section, and apply it to the first 75 feet of line or so. Makes a huge difference. Or use braid.

·
Registered
7,797 Posts

I like the braided lines because they float and are easier to mend. By the way...you're gonna love that reel. I liked it so much I bought three

·
Registered
1,382 Posts

I use 30lb power pro on my reel, then tie on a 10ft section of either 6lb or 8lb flouracarbon. You get the best of both worlds this way, the flotation of braides line and the invisability of floracarbon leader.

I think it makes a big difference when jig fishing steelhead in clear water.

·
Registered
2,790 Posts

You can't count me against braided line. I just don't like it.

I usually fish 6-10 lb. main line tied directly to the jig (usually 1/8 oz). Attach a fixed float to the mainline, put some musclin on the end 20 feet of line or so and go.

No swivel, no weight, one knot. This setup works for me in most situations.

I've found Maxima lines too stiff for my liking. Berkley XL, Stren MagnaThin, Ande low-vis green are all decent, inexpensive lines.

Just my preference. I don't fish a leader most of the time, and the braided lines are too visible for my liking.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts

20/6 yellow Tufline XP with 12# fluoro leader joined via two uni-knots. Besides floating, the braid also has the advantage of being thin so it is less effected by the wind, allowing a more direct contact with your lure during long drifts. Tuesday near Clarno on the John Day, the wind was ki-yiing.

·
Registered
152 Posts

So. . . the answer is . . . it's a matter of preference.I have been float fishing seriously for more than 18 years. I like the ability to mend the braided lines, but hate the fact they are hard to cut, easy to wrap around your rod tip and get hung up in any possible nook or crevice. I like mono for its forgivness and stretch and I like the fact knots are easier with mono. Try them both and then stick with what you like. There are very few absolutes in fishing. Do what you like!

·
Registered
152 Posts

So. . . the answer is . . . it's a matter of preference.I have been float fishing seriously for more than 18 years. I like the ability to mend the braided lines, but hate the fact they are hard to cut, easy to wrap around your rod tip and get hung up in any possible nook or crevice. I like mono for its forgivness and stretch and I like the fact knots are easier with mono. Try them both and then stick with what you like. There are very few absolutes in fishing. Do what you like!

·
Registered
270 Posts

I just dont understand it, everything that I have ever bought that was made by Okuma was poor quality, just junk, I have seen there recent models and they are still made poorly rods and reels, Im glad your having luck with them, but Ill never buy anything that says Okuma on it again. I recently purhased a sturgeon setup, combom brand new, the reel broke the first day and the guides on the rod werent straight, I took it back the next day. My wife picked it up for a suprise, I would have never bought it in the first place, I could tell as soon as she handed it to me it looked like poor quality. Thought maybe Danielson owned them, just my opinion.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts