IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i like the kiwk fish for salmon and wanted to know how they work for steelhead like a k-10 or do u20, x5 or x4s work beter and color choice thank Quick Fisher

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Quick Fisher, I like both the kwickies and flatfish for steelhead. As for kwickies I feel that the K-12 dives a little better than the K-10 without much added size, and I also like the U-20.
We have had success with a flo. orange U-20 and metallic silver with flo. green accents in the K-12. Try in a little softer water than you would normally be fishing.( hint!!!) Good luck. Mike

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
mikeymoto do you change the hooks on them or are they strong enough Quick Fisher

·
Registered
600 Posts
Do you run a diver or lead with the plugs when steelhead fishing? if so what size?

thank you,
:cheers: chris

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
I haven't had to buy any plugs lately so as for current hook sizes I would use your own personal judgement. In the past we would change the hooks on the U-20 flatfish to #2 roundbend trebles, they used to come with hooks that were a little on the small side. With these hooks make sure that they don't get fouled with each other or the bill of the plug when letting them out. Another way to rig them is with a single siwash hook on a swivel on the tail, I use this when regulations require a singlepoint hook. As far as a diver or lead the only time that I feel a need for either one is in the wintertime. There may be situations where you can use either one, but that is a matter of personal preference and the type of water that you're fishing, if you feel that you need to get down deeper or quicker do it. :wink:

·
Registered
10,553 Posts
Try even smaller ones. I have done real well with an F-7 flatfish in orange.

·
Registered
5,743 Posts
QF, another good size is the K9 kwikie in flo. red. :dance: I set mine up with a dropper and about a 4' leader. Dropper length varies, anywhere from 20" up to 4'. It all depends on the water you're fishing. My favorite scent on this is Pro Cure Anise plus bait paste. :cheers:

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks to all for the great info Quick Fisher :cheers:

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
sliver hilton do you put stronger hooks on or just fish them how they come also do you put droper on it w/ lead i usally fish 10-15' of water what water depth is good for the f-7 thank You Quick Fisher

·
Registered
3,924 Posts
I like the U20 Flatfish in flo orange/red with black dots for Columbia River summer steelies. Last year with the summer nooks open, I caught 5 steelies (including a 15# nate) on a orange and gold K15! :shocked: :grin:

As I recall ****** and FishinMission put on quite a clinic last year usining spinners. :wink: If you search the archives you should be able to find a couple pictures. :cheers:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts