IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a bunch of flashers that just wont spin, and a couple that will. They all look the same, and are clean, what gives? Why wont these (3-4) spin for me?

When trolling flashers with a diver or weight, how far behind Either do you typically put them?

Ive used them directly attached to a diver or weight, but they dont seem to spin as well. More of a woble at slow speeds.

·
Registered
13,824 Posts
What brand and model are they? Unless I am mistaken, not all of them do spin. Dodgers and flashers are different creatures.

Mark and the dog.

·
Registered
4,061 Posts
I bought one of those new tear drop ones because they were cheaper than the triangle fish flash ones. Tear drop one wouldn't spin. Did not get a chance to trouble-shoot it beacause it shattered against the side of the boat on a rough ride back over the Columbia Bar. Won't buy another unless someone can convince me they're good.

jpat

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Most flashers do not spin. I get the spin from the cut plugs. The tear drop flashers work very well, and also do not spin, they more less wobble. I had some neon green ones, and then starting making my own, all very productive. You can get some home made flashers to spin, by heating them in the oven, and adding extra bends to them. But back to the question, most of the flashers I have used rotate back and forth about 45 degrees.

·
Registered
909 Posts
All the flashers I have rotate in a big circle. They work by adding flash and action to your lure also by adding noise. I let them down in the water and watch them as I increase speed till they work from that speed up is where you want to fish them. Otherwise they just waggle. Dodgers work differently and are a better choice for slow speeds if you need the action added to your lure . A fish flash (twist your line in a million knots flash) spin on their access work great but dont ever stack them on the down rigger unless you like to spend your time untwisting your lines . Other ways to add action to your lure are to use a heavier line between the flasher and lure. The other would be to run a shorter leader the shorter the more action.

·
Registered
954 Posts
I usually use the trianglar fish flash. I saw that tear drop shaped flash with broken glass sticker in Blue Ice. I thought it looked very fishy so I bought one. The darn thing didn't catch a single coho. But caught a very nice and fat #30 Nook in Nehelam!!!! :dance: :cheers:

·
Registered
954 Posts
Not really. It spun very slowly. I ran it with 18" leader between diver and flasher. But it made large slow loops about 12"-18" in diamater. It really put out a lot of reflection in the water. It seems like it would cover more water with your bait than a standard fish flash.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Here is a picture of the Nook that liked the tear drop flasher. :grin:

[ 08-27-2003, 12:11 PM: Message edited by: FINZ ]

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Maybe we are confused with terms here.

A dodger should NOT spin. Eg. a Luhr Jensen OO or Rhys Davis Dodger.

A Flasher Should Rotate. Eg. Abe n' Al or KelpKutter.

Maybe you are referring to a FishFlash or Kone Zone? I donot yet know the proper 'generic' term for these attractors. However, I do know that when you place them in the water, their action is initially very dissappointing. They rotate very slowly, just giving off a subtle flash on a very slow rotation. However, they do seem to work. I am a sheep and have been using them the past 2 weeks for chinook. Besides, my lazer tape and chartreuse Kone Zone is a beauty to behold!

I prefer 'Dodgers' when fishing Coho, simply because they add so much action to whatever bait you have trailing. Run out of herring?...tie on a bucktail with a leader 1.5 times the length of the dodger. That rod will go down!!!

Did I help?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts