IFish.net banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some help out here if my trolling motor is worth putting money into it. My motor is 1986 8 hp mercury. It needs a new o ring seal near the prop, pull cord, some bushings and some seals in the lower unit. Also a new bracket that holds the motor to the boat. When i bought the motor i paid a 100.00 for it. I was wondering if it would be a better idea to just buy a new motor. Some input would be nice. :whazzup: :shrug: :shrug:

[ 05-06-2003, 08:34 PM: Message edited by: worldlyme ]

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
Sounds like the best investiment would be just to fix your kicker. I just paid $2595 :shocked: for a 8hp high thrust Yamaha. A couple hundred (worst case senerio) to fix your Merc. doesn't sound too bad.

Those 8hp Mercs are excellent motors!

·
Registered
499 Posts
If you paid $100.00 then you have alot of room to invest a few bucks. I have an 87 merc 2 stroke that runs like a champ. How many hours are on your motor? How did it run before these repairs became necessary? A couple hunderd to repair what you have vrs $1,000+ for new. Ahh, yes grasshopper I do believe it's worth thinking about.

·
Registered
13,622 Posts
Worldly-

I have 2 8hp Mercs. An '84 and a '99. Both run perfectly. Fix it. That is unless you have a couple grand burning a hole in your pocket. Then get a new 4 stroke.

If I were to keep both motors, they would most likely outlive me. I am 34 now, so you get the idea.

Mark and the quickly approaching middle age dog.

·
Registered
662 Posts
If you do decide to get rid of the motor, I'll give ya what you paid and then some - I need some parts off of it for my 8 horse

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
I know a guy who works on motors at a fair price. He has serviced several of my older motors. If you want send me an email and I will put you in touch with him.

Giz..

·
Registered
6,868 Posts
That Merc will last a lifetime with a little maintenance. If it were me, I'd fix it, but I'm mechanically inclined, so I'd only be out a few bucks for parts only.
As far as the bracket goes, that's a common motor so you should be able to find a used one.

·
Premium Member
14,294 Posts
when i was working on the lower unit of my motor, i bought all new seals and gaskets. i paid a total of $85 for all of it. granted, all you get is a slim handful of o-rings and some other bits of metal and rubber, but it's a boat motor: all the parts are expensive. you should be able to find the mount bracket through oregon outboard salvage or fairview marine. tell fish'n dave at fairview you heard about them on ifish and he'll likely cut you a deal. he sold me a lower unit for $185 when everyone else was asking $220.

several thousand bucks will get you a new motor. several hundred bucks will get you another used motor, but you don't know the history of it and it may break on you tomorrow. i'd much rather have a motor that has just been rebuilt. aside from a few scratches, it's practically brand new.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I just went through the same thing on my 91 merc 8 hp. I was looding at about 400.00 for a ring job for low compression. So i cried and whinned to my wife, until she allowed me to buy a new yamaha 8hp with a elec start and tilt. Now that a good wife! And for mothers day, I might take her fishing. And my son gets to learn about rebuilding motors. :smile:

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
I say go get a yamaha just because you have a merc. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: the 8 hp yamaha high thrust is amazing.

·
Registered
5,234 Posts
worldlyme, One thing nobody mentioned, how's the compression?? If it's good I say it's worth fixing. If it's a twin, and both the cylinders are not close to the same compression (and within specs.) you might be looking for trouble in the future.
check the compression.

Smj

1 - 13 of 13 Posts