IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a wonderful fishy weekend. My wife and I decided to split kid duties, so I started Saturday by taking the kids to Newport. We went to the Oregon Coast Aquarium and had a wonderful time looking at the fish, seals, sea otters and all the other wonderful stuff. It's hard to look at those fish and not think.....tasty. Went to the beach and constructed the ritual sandcastle. Beautiful weather and a fantastic time with the kids.
Sunday took a friend to Crescent Lake for some kokanee fishing. Never been there but had heard they had bigger fish. Once there, it wasn't hard to tell where to go, everyone was at the Boy Scout Camp. Started at 8:30 and put 7 in the boat in two hours. It then slowed quite a bit and finished out our limits by 1:30.
True to what I had heard, these were nice fish. A couple were at 15" with the rest 13" or 14". They hit on a variety, but we mostly stuck with a 000 dodger and a 5' leader to a double hook setup with corn/anise off the downriggers. Makes for a good fight without much gear. After losing about 5, we added snubbers which helped quite a bit. For me, sometimes snubbers help and sometimes not, kinda depends on how hard they are biting. The magic depth was 50' with the fish scattered in groups of 2 to 5. Trolled in 60' to 70' of water most of the time. There were some large schools of kokanee at ~30', but these were about 9" long so we tried to stay below them for the bigger fish. I'm sure if we had started a little earlier, limits would have come a lot sooner.

Has anyone been hitting Odell lately? Are the fish of comparable size or smaller? I'd prefer the higher population and limits of kokanee at Odell if they have the size.

Here's a pic of my friend and a couple of the nicer kokes.

·
Registered
5,290 Posts
Nice looking fish. Good looking day on the water too with no wind. I try to use slow action rods with little back bone instead of snubbers. Some days the fish are agressive and get both hooks so deep that you could hand line them in. Other days they hit soft and more are lost. It is kosher to fish Odell afer getting a limit of fish else where as Odell has a bonus bag. At least that is what I was told when I called the local ODFW office.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts