IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Just a newbie to this board, but have really enjoyed reading the fish reports and tips on fishing salmon. My wife, mom, and dad are moving to Columbia City early next year and we are really looking forward getting on the water. I was reading "danger's" post about taking his dad fishing and it brings back alot of memories. It seems that all my best fishing trips over the past 40 years have always come with my dad at my side. He is now a lively 83 year old, but the sad part for me is his hardcore fishing days are coming to an end. He's pretty un-steady on his feet now, and standing in a boat is becoming very tough for him. He is so looking foreward to salmon fishing when we get settled in, but I'm not sure how many more trips he has in him. The photo(hope it comes out, first one posted)shows how far back he has wet a line. Not sure if you folks up Oregon way even know what these are. These fish are Totuava, just a few of many caught by my dad in San Felipe Mexico way back when. Not sure of the year,(way before my time) but the truck will date it pretty close. Over the years I've been lucky enough to fish along side him for most everything that swims on the West Coast, including a 175 pound striped marlin that he caught in a small skiff right after his 78th birthday.
Anyway, just thinking how lucky I am to have spent so much quality time with him on the water over the years. It just won't be the same having someone else reach for the net or giving me a hard time after breaking a fish off. Here's to all the dads out there that made time to take us kids fishing. Now that we're grown, it's time to return the favor and get dad out on the water. I would love to see my dad just one more time hoisting that trophy fish up after it hits the deck. There's a 50 pound king out there with my dads name on it, I just know it. Let's go get em pops!

· Registered
2,065 Posts
Welcome aboard! Thanks for sharing the picture and the history.
My father is also getting up there. He just beat a bout with cancer and is slow getting around, but we still give the fish hell every chance we get :cheers:

· Registered
282 Posts
Welcome to Ifish. Bitter sweat post for me. I also have many good memories of fishing with my dad. His last trip was two years ago when he was 83 years-young. He passed away a year ago at 84. Go tell your dad NOW that you love him.

· Administrator
129,587 Posts
I think that this time of year brings out lots of memories of fishing w/family.

Welcome to ifish and thanks for the neat pic!

Jen

· Registered
2,616 Posts
Welcome Molajoe! :wave:

I used love fishing with my dad many years ago. In our case it was son teaching father (pretty bad teacher!) :smile:; but once he got into it he couldn't wait to go again. He loved camping in the Cascades, fishing for trout and kokes.

Any time you have a chance to fish with any family member, don't pass it up! It's a great bonding experience in nature, shared times that will be cherished forever. :flowered:

· Registered
2,877 Posts
hey MolaJoe....I'm in Columbia City, also. My dad is 81 and he's fished with me for the past two years for fall salmon. He doesn't jump to the rod when a salmon hits, but he takes the handoff and gets them to the boat

Col City is great. Scapoosse Bay marina is 6 miles away and there's great fishing all around. Welcome to the neighborhood

· Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the welcome everyone. Great picture wannacatchem. We all take things like fishing with dad for granted at times because he has always been there. As they get up in age, boy how things change fast. I can remember watching him trying to take a backlash out of an old Penn levelwind reel that I made a mess of trying to learn how to cast. That was almost 40 years ago. Now the tables have turned and it's his turn to hand me the reels he has backlashed beacuse of his failing eyesight. Thanks again for making me feel welcome. Hope to see you guys on the water real soon.

· Registered
63 Posts
The best part about fishing with dad is the part where we get to fish with our kids. Both of my boys grew up in a boat with a fishing rod. The're both graduated from Oregon State now so their careers are in full swing but they still drag me along fishing with them and it's great to see them take charge and make it all happen. This was a trip that Brian put together with Sully's Guide Service (Patrick Sullivan is as quality a fisherman as you will find) We had two consecutive days in October on the Umpqua where we whacked'm. Fished along the Dean Creek slot and listened to the Elk bugel and cow talk all morning in the fog.(pretty cool) Anyway, I'm rambling, my son Brian is the tall one, I'm the shorter, rounder guy on the right end, we had a ball.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.