IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You all know what an "Urban Legend" is don't you?
It's one of those stories that is a myth but it's been passed around so long it's generally considered to be true.Like "Walt Disney's head is frozen somewhere at Disneyland to be thawed at a later date"

Here are a few fishing "legends" that I know of

Salmon will slap a herring to stun it before it takes it. Charlie White video pretty much debunked this one.

Trout will "selectively" feed only on certain insects. This is giving a trout credit for being alot smarter than he is! I have no explanation for why they feed this way but it's not because they are in the mood for a baetis rather than a chrominade(sp?) Some have said they will be selective because some insects require less effort to get to than others.

This is the biggest one

Cabelas is building a new store in Chehalis or Centralia or Longview and I've seen the sign announcing it!
We can only wish but it's not likely going to happen anytime soon.
**** Note****
Cabelas is opening new stores in Las Vegas, NV and Long Beach, CA ....go figure :shrug:

[ 01-08-2004, 01:37 AM: Message edited by: Stew ]

· Qualified Sturgeon Hugger
38,289 Posts
My all time favorite is that all sturgeon morph into females when they reach 6 feet.

· Registered
731 Posts
::Cough:: Strong Tualatin Steelhead Run ::Cough::

-Salmon in Fanno Creek
-Steelhead in the Tigard High Pool
-Sturgeon in Walling po...oh, wait... :wink:
-Lonely day on Three Rivers

· Registered
4,621 Posts
>>>Salmon will slap a herring to stun it before it takes it. Charlie White video pretty much debunked this one.<<<

That's a great video too, either that one or another they were dunking Hershey chocolate bar wrappers in bilge oil and hooking fish with them.
Then they "tested" single versus treble hooks by taking a salmon head and rigging it up to a spring loaded contraption and "snapping" it down on the hook while yanking the line. Funny and informative stuff from our Labatts' swilling friends in the G.W.N.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Originally posted by CATCH AND EAT:
Stew, I thought you were an urban legend. :bowdown:
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">Nope Bernard just a legend in my own mind :grin:

· Registered
861 Posts
Ok I'll play....... Here's one..... :wink:
Fishing on Ifish
after being iced in for 2 days is as good as fishing the Wilson in January.
NOT!!!

[ 01-07-2004, 03:29 PM: Message edited by: First Light Bite ]

· Registered
6,634 Posts
How about, " Fish wont cross the bar when the swells are up, the sand gets too sturred up."

I often here this one in the fall when the bite is off.

I'd like to know how all those fish by-pass the bar to get to our rivers when we have a winter storm, the river blows out and then drops back into perfect shape?

I beleive they wont hang out there but they have to come accross it.

· Registered
14,729 Posts
Salmon spawn within 10 feet of where they were born. Dad still says it is gospel.

The dog is a fishing legend...in his own mind.

Mark and the "Hollywood" hound.

· Registered
7,359 Posts
How about this one spied in the classified section of the newspaper.

" Divorce forces sale" 23' Aluminum Jet boat $500.00. Call Betty.....

Guy calls and goes to check out the boat. In the barn in the back yard sits a beautifull 23' North River jet boat, 225hp Yamaha, and every option ever available.

Guy asks Betty why she's selling the boat for $500.00?

Her reply goes like this.....MY husband ran off to Pheonix with a 21 year old stripper and finally called to say he wanted to get a divorce. We decided to split everything on a amicable basis and he asked if I would sell his boat for him and mail him the money. She said no problem the check is on the way.

You can insert Corvette in place of boat if you like.

:grin:

· Registered
9,881 Posts
Team "we got dyn-o-mite" catch a lot of springers. :laugh:
DAB

[ 01-07-2004, 08:52 PM: Message edited by: DAB ]

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.