IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Next week I will be heading down the the Siletz River for a couple days of fishing for my buddy's bachelor party. We have rented a house on the river with it's own dock. And I haven't fished a coastal river before and any advice
would be greatly appreciated. I will poke my head into the local shop but you guys are the bank of knowledge! I hope to have a some good stories when I get back, mostly fishing of course :laugh: !

Thanks!!!

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
The Siletz is a beautiful river, and this time of the year, you will have plenty of space to fish, because 98% of the people are gone, but there are still bright Chinook around (Coho too, but you can not keep them). Normally the tide is very easy flowing.

Not sure how much info you want or need, so I'll be brief and you can let me know if you want more.

Local tackle shops are few and far between. You did not say what part of the river you will be staying on, or wanting to fish, so I'll assume it is the lower river (Hwy 101 and east a few miles), and you'll be in a boat. You can try the Coyote Rock Resort for info - they have a website, and and I believe are open all/most of the year.

If I were to fish the tidewater for the first time, I would troll a spinner, or maybe a herring or a Kwikfish. Generally I would stay in the middle of the river, which is typically about 14 feet deep, although you will run into some deep stretches and holes. Other popular methods for Salmon are anchoring with a wrapped Kwikfish, and to work Bobber(Flobber?)& eggs/shrimp, but it helps to know the better spots for these activities. Note: the bottom has a lot of debris, like limbs and logs, so it is wise to pay attention to your lead-droppers, but if you get hung up, most will come loose if you backtrack. The bottom also has a lot of crabs and sculpins.

If you want to fish really high, like 25-30 road miles, for Steelhead/Salmon, you might try the Logsden Store, in the town of Logsden, for info.

Need more info?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
KChookem -
I think the house is located not to far down the river and east of 101. They say it's a 5-8 min drive into Lincoln City. Not sure if we will take a boat or not. It is a bachelor party and probably be safer for us staying on shore/dock since the beer cooler won't be far. Thanks for your input and anything else you can throw in would also be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
I'm no salmon expert, but I'll try my best to give you advice. I guess the type of water in front of your house is what dictates what type of stuff to use. Again, I'm not an expert. Try bobber fishing with some eggs, or fishing a spinner or kwikfish on the bottom. Like I said, I'm not an expert, heck I don't even know how to rig these setups up, but the one time I fished the Siletz tidewater this year, I saw a couple of bankies doing what I had said. Since you might be throwing back a few cold ones, bobber fishing might be the way to go.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
MightyMo & FishSniffer....

MM... If you fish from the dock, you might try a wrapped Kwikfish. The K16 Chartuse head/silver body is very productive/popular in Sept-Oct, but I would also try one with a lot of red. From a boat we use 3 oz of lead on a dropper - pick a length, or vary it. I've seen fish caught on dropper lengths of zero to three feet. I use 20-24 inches. From a dock, you may need to use more lead to keep the Kfish from coming along the docks (there are also a lot of old log-raft pilings. If you are staying below Coyote Rock, the incoming tide is best for Kfish (seems on the outgoing, the Kfish will not work until it gets up in the water column). Above Coyote Rock, many folks were working Kfish on both incoming and outgoing. It is common for good size logs to come in and out on the tide, so keep an eye out.

If you are up for more physical action, you can also try Bobber/Float fishing with whatever bait you want (shrimp, bits of fillet). Remember, you may very well have a bunch of sculpins working on your bait. You could even throw a spinner, wobbler, etc.

Re Tides in Coyote Rock area - I use the Newport tide book, and Add 3 hours to get the low tide, and 1 1/2 hours to get the high tide.

FishSniffer... If you are looking to fish Siletz Tidewater from the bank, I'm afraid there is almost no public access that I know about. Infact, the only place I recall is about 3/4 mile up from Hwy 101, at the end of a few houses a buildings, and across from the "movie house" (a shake clad Victorian looking house - one of the few houses you'll see on that side of the river). There is a turnout. The hole is about 25 feet deep, and I've seen people plunking there. I might try way up river, although bank spots are very limited, and not easily found. Moonshine Park is way upriver. When the water is right, some good fishing can be had at Moonshine Park. I do not know that stretch of the river, and upstream from Moonshine Park, you will run into property belonging the timber companies. The road may or may not be closed to private vehicles, but if open, the timber companies want you to have a CB radio (logging trucks). If open, you may also find hunters up there. From Lebanon via Hwy 20, there are a series of gravel roads that get you to Moonshine from Blodgett (Hwy 20), but I could not begin to describe to you how to get there - I just fumble my way through.

The South and North Santiam have bank access, and I've heard Steelhead and Salmon are around.

Tight Lines to Ya...

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
The Siletz River gorge road is CLOSED TO THE PUBLIC during the week. Period. It is open on the weekend to public use. I would highly recommend you fish another river for salmon, than the upper Siletz. The deadline is Buck Creek Bridge, only 5 miles up the road. I have been fishing the river for steelhead since May, and I have not seen a chinook salmon worth keeping anywhere above Moonshine Park. I ran across a man and his daughter bobber fishing who had somehow landed a fairly big chinook, cut it opened (the fishs' fins were all white...not even close to table fare) and after discovering the fish had already spawned, left it to rot on the bank. If I come across you doing this, not only will I report you to OSP, but I'll chew your butt out on the bank. Young daughter or not, that garbage doesn't belong on a river containing ALL WILD salmon. The Salmon River is 15 minutes away from Siletz Bay...try there.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I appreciate the info KC. I will give it a try and let ya know how it worked out. I am just looking forward to getting away for a few days and getting my pole in the water.
Thanks again!

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
sparkleboy, let me correct your info somewhat. Buck Creek is much further up river than 5 miles i assure you. Your meter is off. And the Salmon River does not need rude and unlawful fisherman anymore than the Siletz.

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
sparkleboy, you know what. I went to work after my post and thought about Buck Creek. My bad. I was mixing up Buck and Elk Creeks. Thanks for the reminder.

·
Registered
3,031 Posts
Hey Mo.. nyuk, nyuk, nyuck!!!!(sorry, couldn't resist)
make sure you post all the details when you get back about the fishing and the house (and the bachelor party, too
)

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sparkleboy, I didn't feel anything was implied except passing along info for another fishing hole. Thanks for also letting me know about Buck Creek, we will check that out if we have no luck off the dock at our rental!
And as per FishMojo's request, I will provide all the details and hopefully a few pics! :cheers:

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Originally posted by cully:
sparkleboy, you know what. I went to work after my post and thought about Buck Creek. My bad. I was mixing up Buck and Elk Creeks. Thanks for the reminder.
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">Cully, hey no worries. I am actual unfamiliar with the exact number of miles Elk Creek is up the road. I believe it is around 10, but not sure. Going further up there this weekend to find myself some new steelhead water, I'll try to memorize it.

MightyMo - No problem! Always want people to make sure they know they are fishing in a legal area, or where the best chance at a fish is.

Mojo - Where did you get that banana?! I used to go to a website for kicks that had that and a crazy "Peanut Butter Jelly Song" playing, you know it?

·
Registered
4,286 Posts
I knew it was the PB&J dancing banana!

[ 11-05-2003, 09:50 PM: Message edited by: Salmonator ]

·
Registered
5,079 Posts
"Flobber the dancing banana"?

That was going to be Willierowers new moniker and avatar, but I guess the ole skunk king had a 29 fish weekend not long ago... Guess who WASNT on the boat! :mad:

Sparkleboy...you still catching summers up in there? How many fish do you owe me for those spinner mods I "sold" you? :wink:

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
RVW - You better believe I'm still reelin' in those summers! Last weekend a couple of friends of mine and I did some pretty good damage to them. I've never caught a summer steelhead in November before...but I have now! The most encouraging thing was all but one of the fish were extremely bright, in my opinion, for this time of year. However, I am positive they were not winter steelhead.
Yeah, changing to siwash hooks, well let's just say I'm catching/landing at at least your ratio of 3 to 1 from treble hooks. I have lost very few fish on the single hook, especially right after hookset. You were right about those deeper hooksets!
How's the new location treatin' ya? Learning some new water? Hope you don't forget about the Siletz! :smile:
Tell you what - I'll give you some lessons on jig fishing and we'll call it even, how's that sound?

[ 11-05-2003, 10:45 PM: Message edited by: sparkleboy ]

·
Registered
5,079 Posts
Originally posted by sparkleboy:
Tell you what - I'll give you some lessons on jig fishing and we'll call it even, how's that sound?
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">Could you show me how to LOSE a rod and reel while bank fishing first...I still cant do it! :grin:

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Ouch - that one hurts.
I can't show you, because I don't know how it happened.
That was by far my worst day and worst experience fishing I've ever had. I still haven't been back to that part of the river...

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Originally posted by cully:
sparkleboy, let me correct your info somewhat. Buck Creek is much further up river than 5 miles i assure you. Your meter is off. And the Salmon River does not need rude and unlawful fisherman anymore than the Siletz.
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">I am absolutely sure Buck Creek is no more than 5.5 ROAD miles up from Moonshine Park. I am 100% positive.
No one needs rude fisherman, I'm not implying that MightyMo is one of these types of fisherman at all, I was just giving him another alternative to perhaps a greater chance at catching a salmon. I believe we are all equally frustrated with unlawful fishing practices, and wish we could all be a volunteer game officer. Cully, I meant nothing negative by my post. I appologize for any misunderstanding.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts