IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm on vacation in Lincoln City this coming week and want to know if anyone wants to fish the Siletz?

I've never fished the river before...but I am a experienced fisherman....with ifish references :grin:

Or maybe someone could point me in the right direction?

Please feel free to give me a call if you want to give it a go

mike h.
503-830-1683

·
Registered
5,079 Posts
Ive never bank fished on a summer weekday when the gorge isnt an option. (I havnt consulted my reg book in a while either) Give a ring though, Im thinking Wednesday? Waders recommended.
Looking forward to it.

Local 921 8314 L.A.M.

·
Banned
553 Posts
Should be good! I honestly dont recomend waders though, way to hot. Most of what you get to fish is all fished easily from the bank with no need to even get in the water except maybe to cool down!
Was out for a few days on the siletz, thurs went 4 for 4, fri 2 for 2 and saturday with so many people out there only hooked up once and couldnt get it in...
Good week for the siletz.... enjoy.

KC

·
Registered
5,797 Posts
Well, I've never fished the Siletz in the Summer, but the steelhead reports from down there are looking pretty good and I'm free all next week myself.

:cool:

So, if you don't mind another guy showing up until a while after the fishing starts ( I'm in Portland ), I'd like to see if I can meet up with you guys.

My e-mail addy is [email protected]

Thanks

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Just a reminder that the Siletz Gorge road is NOT open to the public during the week. Georgia Pacific closed it after some incidents with fishermen running log trucks off the road...

[ 06-29-2003, 04:15 PM: Message edited by: sparkleboy ]

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Originally posted by Grant Scheele:
I heard that it was a little blue toyota 4x4 pick up truck.
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">Wow Grant, that's knowin' your facts. I actually don't know what truck it was, or who it was, but the fisherman was driving pretty fast, and came around a blind corner, and a log truck was coming the otherway. He had to drive off the small logging road, and rolled down pretty much a verticle bank. I don't know if the truck went into the river, or if the driver was ok, but a bunch of people at G.P. got P-O'd.
Unfortunate. You have to respect log trucks. That road is dangerous enough when another car is coming the other way.

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
oh great, i've got a blue toyota pick up. It was'nt me! I know that road well and know how to drive it, slow and expecting a truck, car or logging truck around every corner. I've not been up there in over a year..since i started drifting. I was hoping to get back to the bank there this summer. I was never sure, but i think it's illegal to walk in also. My wife,daughter and I were asked to leave a by some guards a couple of years ago while having a picnic on the river. We were just down the bank below the swinging gate. They said that cars are a big problem but so are hikers. Fire danger.

·
Registered
5,079 Posts
Kleancut, I wouldnt recommend waders either especially with the weather last week, but its raining as we speak, and theres a number of good holes with better casting room on the "other side"

If I hadnt made it clear enough that the gorge isnt an option during the week, please see sparkleboys post. Thanks sparkle...the gorge is open Friday.

[ 06-30-2003, 08:48 AM: Message edited by: cirrhosis-of-the-river ]

·
Registered
103 Posts
I believe it is owned and controlled by Plum Creek now, not GP. I could be wrong though.

I was up there two weeks ago and caught a nice chrome hen. How have the crowds been in the upper gorge?

-Blade

·
Registered
103 Posts
On the waders, it is a tossup. When I was there the people I was fishing with had shorts and sandals on and were wishing they had waders. I had waders and boots on and kind of wished I had shorts and sandals.

Breathables aren't bad, but anything else would be a little hot and sticky this time of year. With the weather we had this last weekend I would make it a swimsuit and sandals.

-Blade

·
Registered
5,079 Posts
Fridays rule still applies, but this week is the 4th...open all day from what Ive heard, (and assuming the sign which says "...holidays" is still there)

My point was, I usually dont go during the week because I feel as though I am missing something if I cant fish the gorge. Amazingly, the weatherperson I am naive enough to listen too was off by an infinite number of raindrops...it is now clear and quite warm....on my way to catch some dinner now. (wearing shorts)

[ 06-30-2003, 04:32 PM: Message edited by: cirrhosis-of-the-river ]

·
Banned
553 Posts
Mr. Jonny Law claims as long as you dont mind walking you can go how ever far you'd like mid-week, just dont get caught driving up beyond the gate. If you do get caught driving up there mid-week Jonny has to ask you to leave, and maybe even write a ticket. Is the gorge open all day on fridays? I was under the impression you can start driving up there friday evenings when the fellas are done working up there.
Yes, there are a few holes that should be fished from the other side but certainly dont need waders to fish em. I use wading boots with swim shorts, not cotton, and cross if needed.
What ever you do, DO NOT try different methods of fishing these fish :grin: as they only like eggs drifted to em!!! :grin: :grin: Or spinners :grin: ! heheheh.........

Have a blast out there..... leave some fish for the rest of us.

KC

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Cully - My dad also has a truck matching that description...but it wasn't us, either! I am almost entirely sure you can walk or ride a bicycle up the road during the week. It's risky, however.
Blade - Plum Creek is a small company owned by George Pacific, or something like that. It's still the same people, just a different name. Upper Gorge is a zoo :depressed: . Last Saturday I counted 15 cars between the gate and Buck Creek, and I talked to a guy that said five more were up river.
Kleancut - The gorge road is closed on Fridays. Only open during the weekends. I'm pretty sure cirrhosis-of-the-river is correct in saying it will be open this Friday, however. Right now I'm planning on going up there Friday. There is a fine if you're caught up there in a vehicle. One of my dad's coworkers was up there once when he shouldn't of been, and got slammed with a $1000 ticket. Georgia Pacific has sinced raised the fine to a hefty $5000. Ouch.
cirrhosis-of-the-river - good luck. What do you drive. Kleancut, too. If I see you guys, I'll stop by and say hi. I'm either in a Blue Toyota T100 with my dad (license plate 810601, figure that one out! :wink: ) or in a white Toyota Tacoma.

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
Sorry to point the finger at you boys with the blue toyotas but I was just yanking Uncle Romans chain as I know that he drives a blue toyota. Unfortunately my humor failed to get a rise out of him. Maybe I will have better luck next time. :grin:

·
Registered
5,079 Posts
KC.. Dakota club 4x Just look for the truck with fish blood in the back. :grin: (oh, and nothing to steal inside!)

[ 07-01-2003, 07:50 PM: Message edited by: cirrhosis-of-the-river ]

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Originally posted by cirrhosis-of-the-river:
KC.. Dakota club 4x Just look for the truck with fish blood in the back. :grin: (oh, and nothing to steal inside!)
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">Hehehe, you're not the only one who's been bloodying up their rig. :grin:

·
Registered
5,079 Posts
Sorry, I addressed KC rather than you sparkleboy (that moniker is tough to say without a lisp :laugh: ) Ive been spending too much time in the "lagalize pot" thread...I think I got a contact LOW from the nay-sayers. (No disrespect, I admire any intelligent opinion)

(step away from the keyboard COTR!)

·
Banned
553 Posts
I'll keep an eye peeled for those rigs... mines the grey toyota xtra cab, with a dark blue canope. No stickers and no blood..... my fish are always pretty cleaned up by the time I get em to the rig!

KC

1 - 20 of 30 Posts