IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question for the upper clackamas fishery....many many years ago my father and I would head to our favorite camping site along the Colowash River. Last year for Memorial Day weekend we found that campsite and tried to fish our favorite spot again. Where we once caught fish after fish...we caught nothing! This year we have booked that same campsite and are looking to find the fish this year. Any tips or suggestions would be helpful. After looking over the ODFW update...

Clackamas River: The mainstem Clackamas River and all tributaries below River Mill Dam allow catch and release only and open May 24. The mainstem Clackamas and tributaries above North Fork Reservoir are catch and release only with artificial flies and lures. One exception is that all tributaries above the U.S. Forest Service bridge located on Road 57 to Timothy Lake are open to two trout per day.

Is the Colowash a tributary they are talking about here? open to catch and eat?? It also talks about Timothy Lake being stocked in late april....but doesn't say if you can keep the fishes you catch. My nephew will be coming along and after 3 Monday's in a row..on the Willamette and NO FISH...he's really itching to catch fish....and truth be told...I wouldn't mind fighting a fish myself...even if it doesn't fold my rod in half!

Any answers to these questions would be greatly appreciated

Happy Fishing!

Jeff

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
Not sure about the Collawash, I know that ODFW quit stocking most of the upper Clack system to Protect Native Salmon and Steelehead stocks. From my uderstanding of the regs, you can keep all the brook trout you want.

As far as Timothy lake goes it is 5 trout per day and 25 Kokanee in addittion to your trout limit. No size restrctions on the koke's (pg 50 of the regs)

·
Registered
14,348 Posts
The branch of the Clack that follows the Timothy lake rd. #57 and that you are talking about is the Oak Grove fork. You will find many small Eastern Brook trout and a few Browns. Harriet lake is rumoured to hold large browns. I have personally caught a few trolling flies behind a rowboat.

The Callowash forks off the Clack a ways above the Timothy lake cutoff on the way to Detroit and Ollalie Lake. Years ago in the early '70s I cut my teeth on rainbow trout caught on spinners there at the 2 rivers campground.

Limits were easy and the river was not crowded.

[ 05-21-2003, 10:59 AM: Message edited by: Pilar ]

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Firedog....I will be bringing my Firedog with me on the camping trip. Dalmation dog...Evita...

Glad to see we'll be able to catch some fishes!

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Pilar~

Two Rivers is the campground we are headed to! Yeah, cutting teeth was right...and learning to clean the fish was my job. Dad caught many fish every day and kept me busy. Glad to see that we will be able to do some fishing at one of the lakes if not the small streams mentioned in previous posts. Thanks again for your help. I was talking with my wife about this last night...and she said I should put it on here and see what my fellow ifishers had to say! Sad to say...she's right again!!

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
the last time i was up at the callowash was about 5 years ago this sept. i witnessed about 100+ salmon and steelhead spawning or getting ready to spawn. what a site. i would have to sneak up to the river because the water was so clear.

·
Registered
14,348 Posts
Fisherfield, Harriet Lake is easy to find. Just follow the signs for Timothy Lake and take the cutoff (HWY 57). Just a few miles up the road you will see the signs for Harriet. You can bank fish down by the dam for rainbows but I highly recommend a raft, belly boat or small rowboat. Fish the stumpy area where the river enters the lake from the boat.

A #10 hook spruce fly on 6' of 2# SCIENTIFIC ANGLER leader spliced to your 4# or 6# line on the old trout pole is the ticket. Let out a hundred feet of line and row slow. No need to watch your line. When the brown trout starts tailwalking behind the boat, pick up the rod and do battle.

Tight lines and happy hunting.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Again, thanks for the help. We have a small boat with an electric motor and oars...will try all the things suggested. Thanks again!

Jeff

·
Registered
5,313 Posts
Oak Grove Fork of the Clak. that runs between Timothy and Harriet used to have many many small dumb cutthroat in it. I haven't fished it for years but I know they put some pretty tight restrictions on the (native) cutt fishing on the Oak Grove Fork, maybe that's changed now. There didn't used to be brookies in there and if there are now they certainly want them out, so their not competing with the native cutts. I also don't believe there are any size restrictions on the brookies. A few years ago I cooked up a panfull of 5-6" brookies streamside, mighty good, brookies are the finest eating trout (char) in my book.

Smj

1 - 10 of 10 Posts