IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Administrator
119,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It was up at 3:30, and on the road, soon after, to fish out of John Day for Sturgeon, with ifish guide, Dennis Stewart.
If you want to get into some sturgeon, and want to learn the ropes, give Dennis a call at (503) 717-9901! It's a blast, and his boat, a 26 foot Alumaweld, is beautiful, and really smooth!

I was fishing for 10 minutes or so, before I whistled my fish in! ...and I did! I told him that you have to whistle for them, and I did, and knock knock! Here's my sturgie! :smile:

He was very impressed with how well I was doing, and attributed it, of course, to the color of my lipstick. After seeing how well it did for me, he even tried some on! I swear! HE DID! :smile:

We had a blast, a day full of laughs and lots of action! It wasn't red hot out there today, but we were kept busy enough! Those sturgeon are heavy!!!

We had a couple come off at the boat, which we heard happened with the guides yesterday, too. That's pretty unusual! Once they are hooked, they usually stick!

Lots of guides in the area today, and we had fun visiting, sharing bait, and yelling reports back and fourth, both on the phone, and via the strong Columbia winds!

I'm totally exhausted, so tell me if I'm not making sense!

Afterwards, we went to Sturgeon Pauls to get our catch fileted and vacuum packed. If that isn't a handy service! Anyone else go there? It's become a tradition, I think, with most regulars to gather here, to talk over the day's catches and laugh with Paul and the gang.

You can find Sturgeon Paul's Smokehouse at 38 SE 1st street in Warrenton.

So, we drove home with vac packed sturgeon, all ready to go! It's SO nice to not have to put up fish after a long day of fun! :smile:

So, thank you, Dennis! I had a great time! Really, I've not gone on a trip with Dennis yet, where we didn't come home with all the fish we can use!! :smile:

It really helps, though, if you wear a Salmon Master hat, with the right shade of lipstick. Believe me. It works!

Jen

·
Registered
31 Posts
Good work, Jen. You picked the right day. We were up there yesterday and had an east wind all day with a flood tide. The boat wouldn't stay in one spot and slopped around but at least we didn't catch any fish. LOL!! We were up there last Mon. and had a 45" keeper and a 67" oversize. The fun part is that my cousin's 12 year old son caught the 67"er!!! He held on to the fish and I held on to him.......it doesn't get any better than that!!

Cheers, Jim

·
Registered
4,127 Posts
Good ol Dennis. Very nice guy, real funny guy.
Nice fish Jen
Hope to be down there this weekend.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Jen,

Nice seeing you at Sturgeon Paul's. Glad you got your fish, hard to miss with a guide like Dennis. We also are regulars at Sturgeon Paul's. The guy and his crew know how to treat their customers right. Yea, the bite was good today, our keepers on Sand Shrimp above Tongue Point.

Mike

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
We have been going to Sturgeon Pauls for a few years now as well. One less thing to worry about when I pull up to the house after a full day of fishing and driving!

And of course we always stock up on the salmon jerky while we are there! He even lets you hose out the boat if you are parked in front!

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
circle hooks are the olny hooks to use for sturgeon and halibut just my $0.02 nice fish jennie :dance:

·
Registered
4,387 Posts
Nice fish and thanks for the report. I have been going to Pauls now for the past couple of years. He sees me a lot during the summer and knows me by name everytime I go in there. He evens gets one of his guys to wash down my boat while getting my fish cleaned. The guy is a class act.

·
Administrator
119,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Here is their reader board...

Here is the store front

...and Sturgeon Paul, himself!

Jen

·
Administrator
119,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It's just a hoot going to Sturgeon Pauls, cuz all the fishermen and guides gather there, at day's end. You hear all the scuttle, clean your boat, and your fish... I think they should have a Sturgeon Paul's tavern, with cheese burgers and a place to sit down and swap stories at days end... Of course, it's pretty neat, just the way it is.

Make sure to get your salmon jerky when you are there!
J

·
Administrator
119,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Took lots of pics yesterday! Here is a picture of Jody Mather with his clients...

He did well yesterday, too!

Jen

·
Registered
65 Posts
Jennie,
Always a great time fishing with you and Bill :grin: If any of you haven't tried Sturgeon Pauls for your fish cleaning, you should go by and give it a shot. It's a great way to end the day :dance:

Dennis

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Jennie,

Sturgeon Paul's rules...should be one at every launch ramp. Interesting...that's where I first met Dennis. Right in back of us in line to get the boat cleaned and the fished filleted.

Only boat that day that caught almost as many salmon as we did...of course...we had 7 folks on the boat...all limited out so I doubt many folks had as many as we did.

Hmm...this guy must be prettty good.

Brion

·
Administrator
119,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
His boat goes too fast, too... Says he can't slow the darned thing down. :smile: :smile:

On the way back, it was really rough, and he just plowed through it. It was surprisingly smooth though. I kept hanging on for bumps. Didn't need to! :smile:

Jen

1 - 17 of 17 Posts