IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to be down outside of Bend, OR this weekend for a wedding and would like to get some fishing in :grin:

I checked out the ODFW website and it looks like the river is open for springers and summer steelies, is that correct? do they even get a run through there? would I be wasting my time fishing? what type of fishing is normally done? drift fishing?

I really do not know the Deschues River so any input at all woudl be helpful, thank in advance to all of fellow ifishers for your replies.

Z :cheers:

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
The Deschutes around Bend is trout water. Check the regulations for what sections of the river are open. I believe below Benham Falls is open year round. Salmon and steelhead do not go past Pelton Dam (the pool below Lake Billy Chinook). The Springers are working their way up to Sherar's Falls (below Maupin) and the steelhead do not show in earnest until mid-July.

Bring your fly rod, some nymph patterns, elk hair caddis, and check the regs for what section is open for trout around Bend.

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
Navigator is right. If you like trout fishing hit the middle Deschutes. You can access it near Terrebon. Real tricky to find but well worth it. If Springers are on the agenda you need to go downriver (north) of Maupin to Sherars Falls, mostly bobber fishing. I'll be doing WS to TC all weekend for trout.

·
Registered
13,979 Posts
Bring your flyrod. Stop in at Central Oregon Outdoors. They have the up to the minute scoop.

Mark and the pale dun dog.

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info, that is kinda what I figured.

Z

·
Administrator
41,374 Posts
From the mouth to the Warm Springs Boundary:
• 2 rainbow trout per day, 10-inch minimum and 13-inch maximum length.
• Open for adipose fin-clipped steelhead entire year.
Restricted to artificial flies and lures , except that bait may be used from Sherars
to first falls) (Wasco Co.) Falls downstream to upper trestle (about 3 miles).

From the Northern Warm Springs Boundary to the Pelton Dam:
• See Special Regulations for Warm Springs Reservation at end of this zone.
• Open to trout April 26-Oct. 31, 2 rainbow trout per day, 10-inch minimum
• Open for adipose fin-clipped steelhead April 26-Dec. 31.
• No angling from a floating device.
Restricted to artificial flies and lures.
• Closed from Pelton Regulating Dam downstream about 600 feet to ODFW markers.

Lake Billy Chinook upstream to Benham Falls:
• Open for trout entire year.
• 2 trout per day, which may include 1 bull trout, 24-inch minimum length.
Restricted to artificial flies and lures.

MIrror Pond (Deschutes River in Bend) from North Canal Dam to Colorado Street Bridge:
• 2 trout per day.
Use of bait allowed.

Benham Falls upstream to Wickiup Reservoir:
• Open for trout May 24-Oct. 31.
• 5 trout per day, which may include 2 nonfin-clipped rainbow trout.
Use of bait allowed.

Warm Springs Indian Reservation telephone number (541) 553-2002: Lake Simtustus and Reservation :
• Tribal permits are required on the Metolius Arm of Lake Billy Chinook, portions of Deschutes River.
• The Reservation borders the Deschutes River for approximately 31 miles from Two Springs Ranch (4 miles downstream from the North Junction railroad bridge) up-stream to Pelton Regulating Dam. Anglers are restricted to the eastern half of the
river where it borders the Reservation. For exceptions, call the Reservation at (541) 553-2002.
Taking crayfish from Reservation waters is prohibited , except for Tribal use.

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Pete,

That is some great iformation.

Z

1 - 8 of 8 Posts