IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering about the current and depth up at O.C. and the falls area. Would like to anchore some Kwickies there but not sure if our 16' DB with 5 hp motor could handle. As of right now, we only have a 100' anchore line, small rocking chair anchor with a 38lb bouy. Would this be enough? Would like to get some opinions before we try. Would hate to see our boat beeing the next boat down post.

Thanks
CM

·
Registered
3,252 Posts
CM:

my friend smoky does it with and a 16' willie DB a 8 horse. look him up on here and shoot him an email.

[ 04-10-2003, 09:42 AM: Message edited by: husker ]

·
Registered
8,838 Posts
CM -

You won't have a problem if you launch at Sportcraft and fish either the Garbage hole or the above 205 area. DO NOT TAKE THAT ANCHOR UP TOWARD THE DEADLINE. The problem with rockers above the old bridge is the bottom is rocky, jagged basalt, not sand or gravel. I have seen several people, even with big motors, not be able to lift their rockers once the tines stick in the crags.

If you want to go up to that area, a big clump of chain works really well because it settles in the crags but will lift right back up. I have even almost lost my pyramid up there, though with the big motor it popped up eventually.

There is lots of good fishing in the area without going above the old bridge though, and the current is swifter than usual this year, but not so much you wouldn't be able to make it back upstream if you drop off to chase a fish.

Good luck!

:cheers:

·
Registered
12,182 Posts
you might have a problem motoring up there with a 5 HP kicker. Current is pretty strong out there right now. Depth near the falls is'nt too bad in spots but 100'of rope will be close is if venture into deeper water. good luck and be safe.

·
Registered
8,838 Posts
gbs is right about the above old bridge area in that regard as well. The current really picks up and there are several areas that are over 100' deep. Even up near the deadline the bottom ranges between 20 and 40 or so, but is quite swift.

Again, if you stay below the old bridge you should find lots of areas that are safe and fishy!

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
You could launch at Meldrum and fish that area too. If you launch at Clackamette Park it's tough to make it upriver because the current in front of the park is pretty swift. I've done it years ago by staying tight to the bank, but it's a slow go with a drift boat because you're pushing so much water. Put in at Sportcraft to fish that part of the river below and above the 205 bridge.

Cliff

[ 04-10-2003, 08:37 PM: Message edited by: adiboy ]

1 - 8 of 8 Posts