IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whats your favorite?

What do you use for different applications? is there any pros to changing lines for summer vs winter steel if you use a lo-vis anyway?

Im looking for most popular here. Ive tried some new items recently..magnathin, didnt like it, seems like knot strength was poor.

Berkley vanish? respooled new reels with it last week and its not bad as far as stretch, and memory, but what do I know?, Ive used ultragreen or a line Im not sure is even made anymore called "P-Line" for a long time. Ran out recently.

I back all reels with tough-line and top them with about 150 yards of brand "X"...any cons to this practice?

Whats your take and why? Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
14,399 Posts
i've heard nothing but bad things about vanish. seems the consensus is that it's brittle and will cost you fish.

i'm not sure i understand this next one:
I back all reels with tough-line and top them with about 150 yards of brand "X"
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">so, are you spooling the tuffline on first, then putting on mono? that's exactly the reverse of what i've heard everyone else doing.

mono is cheap enough that i spool the entire reel with it.

·
Registered
5,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Tag, since you ask... my idea is if you back with a very strong, zero memory line such as tuff line or any braided line, if you ever reach it while fighting a fish, you can be confident in its strength, and that it will strip off the reel easily. AND when it comes time to change, youve only got 100 to 150 yards to spool rather than the entire reel. With smaller diam lines, this saves a little time and money. Coiling from memory is a concern too, although not very often, but I hate laying a corkscrew on top of the water and having it go all the way back to my reel through the guides, tangles easily, doesnt spool properly especially on spinning reels.

Amp, I prefer a mono or co-polymer in the water for lo visablility and stretch. I intend to fish jigs a lot more often than I have as a result of suggestions here from Mark (first cast) and seeing others success. No leader required with either jigs or spinners. I spend a lot of time re-rigging on the water, leaders are a waste of my time when simply changing colors of spinners/jigs or from a spinner to a jig etc.. Tuff line and braided lines are not lo-vis and summer fish are line shy. I guess you could say Ive got a 150 yard leader. I developed a habit when fishing for Northern pike and muskie, wake em up with something big and bright, and then change to something more appealing to the bite.. Was effective then, and Im not sure it doesnt work for lazy summer steel and salmon as well.

Guess Ill be stripping the vanish off today, I have hooked only one fish with it breifly, and I thought it was ok?

"P-line" was great, ZERO memory even after it stayed unused on a reel for a year. Cant find it anymore.

[ 07-17-2003, 08:24 AM: Message edited by: cirrhosis-of-the-river ]

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Hi Doug,

P-line is available at Fisherman's Marine.

Compared with last Sat and limiting the boat with you aboard - Monday was a bust. 1 shark, 2 nats, & zero keepers to the boat. 10 crab though.

Cheerio'
Skipper

·
Registered
5,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Jim. I just found P-line down here too, only one-shot spools though.. Going to wrap 2 reels with it, and 2 with gamakatsu (never used it) and see which I like better.

No cirrhosis on the boat is never a good thing. Im available anytime this week/weekend. :wink:

[ 07-17-2003, 11:50 AM: Message edited by: cirrhosis-of-the-river ]

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
From P-lines web site: FLOROCLEAR is made of two parts; a copolymer core and a fluorocarbon, silicon coating that is absorbed into the pores of the line. The copolymer is the same core material as our other lines, but is extruded to have very little memory. FLOROCLEAR gives angler's the best of both worlds:
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">I like the 10# for summer steelhead with 8# UG leader.
Sufix is a good line but, I think P-Line is a little better. Just my $0.02 :grin:

[ 07-17-2003, 02:28 PM: Message edited by: Quick Fisher ]

·
Registered
3,505 Posts
Check the latest Outdoor life, they just did a big article on knots, knot strength, and line strength. It has some real good information, here is a link to the article and test results.

Line tests

·
Registered
462 Posts
I know I haven't posted my newbie story yet, but I had to chime in on this one.
I've been trying a brand called "Suffix DNA"
Fisherman's in Delta Park recommended it. This is by far the best mono line I have ever used, absolutely zero memory, casts like a dream. The only problem is....the biggest I've been able to find is 12lb. I'd like to find some 15lb. But the 12lb has been working wonders for the summer steel on the Lewis.

·
Registered
5,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ive never heard of suffix until I was desperate one day and grabbed a spool of 10lb at a little convenience store....the only line they sold, wasnt sure if it was just some cheap junk the distributor found in the back of his truck or not. Have yet to use it.

Anyone else tried it?

[ 07-18-2003, 08:45 AM: Message edited by: cirrhosis-of-the-river ]

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
I've used one spool of the Suffix line and so far so good. No rave reviews on it but I havent really used it much.
For baitcasting try Spidermono(awesome stuff) or TripleFish. For spinning reels I usually use McCoy but I've been messing with the Spidermono LS with good results so far.

Ditto on the Vanish.
Ditto on UG for leaders.
P-Line is great line too. Kind of stiff but very strong.

·
Registered
5,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for the tips. The outdoor life artical was interesting, if nothing else, I realized I should be tying palomer knots more often.
I believe that an eggloop is an awesome knot though. no stress from the hook-eye at all, so wireguage is not a concern.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
tag-a-long,

I'm with you, I just fill the reel with line. I guess the idea behind backing is saving some bucks using a cheaper line deeper in the reel.

I keep cutting the line down as the year goes own (a bit less now that I use Spiderwire which seems excellent regarding nicks, UV detrioration etc) so I like having all line.

Neighbor was bugging me about no backing and it was like the scene in Patton where the German bombers shows up to prove Patton's point, a huge springer nails his rod and had 200 yards off it before he knew what was going on.

He hasn't bugged me about backing since.

Brion

G

·
Backing is important for a few reasons. If you are using mono main line it can stretch and then blow your spool up when wound on streached. Dacron backing will help to reduce this. If you are using Spectra line backing will help to keep your line from slipping on the spool, I use dacron but some like mono.

Byron,
You must tie your backing to your main line with a strong knot for it to work
As for cost, how much does it cost to spool a Penn 114H Senator with 80lb Power Pro? Half full with dacron backing helps to cut the cost.

·
Registered
5,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
B~ Pros to backing: fill two reels rather than one with the one shot packs of top-off line...no memory in braided lines (in case you get that deep) Extra strength and no stretch when your buddy, or anyone else has a fish strip your reel, especially nice when you need to set the hook...handles being wet longer and better than polymers...

Cons?
I think Lamiglass still voids the waranty on thier rods when you use a braided line. (wanna buy an esprit broken midway through the lower half?)

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
Pros-larger spool diameter on 'working' line keeps less memory on line

Cons-backing to line knot is weak spot (naturally), some braided lines have coatings that make them bind together when compacted (ie Tuff XP does this)

·
Registered
143 Posts
About one in twenty reels I get in for service will have a complaint about a slipping drag that turns out not to be a slipping drag at all. In fact the braided line (fireline, tufline, fill in your favorite brand) is slipping on the spool itself. So you can crank down on the drag as hard as you want and line will still peel out. The solution, as many of you know is to put a mono backing on the spool before you spool up with braided line. So there's another reason to do it. And just for the record, I always use an albright knot for the mono/braid connection. I've never had one fail on me.
Al
:hoboy: Ooops, just noticed Keta already mentioned the issue of the slipping spool.

[ 07-19-2003, 11:36 PM: Message edited by: reelmeister ]

1 - 20 of 21 Posts