IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
3,809 Posts
I'm sure it would work, but logistically you need to consider:

Is it manageable? How do you keep them separated and operating properly?
What if you hook up? Could be a real challenge at the net.

Try it and let us know how it did.

· Registered
3,855 Posts
Dave G. Now there's some creative thinking. For steelhead in the CR I and many bankies run a spinnglo and then send a U-20 flatfish down the line as a slider to a bead and swivel a couple of feet above the spinnglo. Steelie might take either. Why not do the same with double K-15s? The problem might be length of leader and length of spacer and length of net. If you have a 5x5 set up at number 1 Kwikfish, you could not put a 5 ft spacer between the main line and the #1 leader, because you'd have 10 feet of line+ leader between your bead and swivel, so you wouldn't very well be able to reel the fish close enough to net it, at least by yourself. Maybe shorter leaders and spacers would work. You've got me thinking. I like the idea. Or how about a K-lure or Alvin and a kwikfish combo?? Give those fish some variety!! Let us know what you come up with and how it works.

· Registered
23,212 Posts
Dave G. Now there's some creative thinking. For steelhead in the CR I and many bankies run a spinnglo and then send a U-20 flatfish down the line as a slider to a bead and swivel a couple of feet above the spinnglo. Steelie might take either. Why not do the same with double K-15s? The problem might be length of leader and length of spacer and length of net. If you have a 5x5 set up at number 1 Kwikfish, you could not put a 5 ft spacer between the main line and the #1 leader, because you'd have 10 feet of line+ leader between your bead and swivel, so you wouldn't very well be able to reel the fish close enough to net it, at least by yourself. Maybe shorter leaders and spacers would work. You've got me thinking. I like the idea. Or how about a K-lure or Alvin and a kwikfish combo?? Give those fish some variety!! Let us know what you come up with and how it works.

I have seen this done on the Columbia below Willow Grove. I still think it is more trouble than it is worth and would be interested in knowing how many are caught on the top rig.

· Registered
6,261 Posts
I've thought a little about this myself, and have tried similar setups. I trolled a herring this spring and had a second rigging (prawn and spin'n'glo) about three feet above it. Netting a fish on the lower rigging does become a huge nightmare (and I was using a 10'6" rod. I'd never try it without a rod at least 10' long, and I wouldn't use a lower leader longer than about three feet.

You also have to make sure you are using two opposite styles of lures or two of the same, stacked accordingly. Kwikfish are risky because they do a lot of random movement, sometimes floating upward, sometimes diving deeper than normal. Using a combo like an alvin with a spin'n'glo on top is more predictable. The alvin will pretty much always fish a little below where it is tied to the mainline, and a spin'n'glo a little above or even.

Also consider that a pair of K-15s in water that is moving with much pace at all is going to probably take twice as much weight to hold within a reasonable distance of the boat- likely a pound worth, be a bear to retrieve without a fish on, and add sometimes create a situation where you are pulling on a fish one direction, the fish is going the opposite direction and the kwikfish resisting a third direction= not good.

All in all, I'd say with kwikfish, it's more trouble than it's worth. Trying it a few times couldn't hurt though!

· Registered
3,855 Posts
Papa Hog, Some get caught on the spinnglo and some on the upper U-20. Don't know the %. Off the bank they use a 1oz weight to help the U-20 swim down the line.

· Registered
491 Posts
I dunno, seems like a hassle...seems like the hassle would take away from the fishing experience...not to mention having a lure or a set of hooks dangling around while you try and unhook the fish from the other setup...I guess it would totally be up to you wether or not it was worth it...

· Registered
1,246 Posts
I've done it with Alvins and spinners for fall fish. I have caught fish (the same day) on both bottom & top rigs. The big problem is getting them netted if they are on the bottom rig...you have the top rig that can easily get tangled in the net. I never do it fishing solo...too hard to net. But if you have a netter on board, its pseudo-managable.

· Registered
2,104 Posts
I'm sure it would work, but logistically you need to consider:

Is it manageable? How do you keep them separated and operating properly?
What if you hook up? Could be a real challenge at the net.

Try it and let us know how it did.
I run 7 to 9 rods for 3 or 4 people, have had 7 go down at one time (tuna), we do the tuna dance, generly i do the choreography.

1. run the twist up to the boat so we can see them.
2.untwist, pole over pole
3.keep your second, third, fourth.ect fish OUT!, not near the boat
4. shoulda been first, try to run the same line, not just braid or non braid, but excatly the same line.
5. hold your pole tips together, less stress on your line and you can see your wraps.

there's alot more, im sure but dinner is ready!

Jack

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.