IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm evaluating a promotion & move to Nashville, TN. In the end, the decision will be up to the wife... but besides bass, what kind of fishing can be had in/around Tennessee. I just don't see myself as a bass fishermand and fear that I would just miss Salmon fishing, crabbing, the Rivers, the salt (oh, yeah... and my boat) far too much if I (we) accept the offer.

· Registered
1,496 Posts
make it to the east coast (the carolinas) for stripers, there not as big as northwest salmon but they fight just as hard. as for rivers theres catfish a whole lot of them and very big in that area.

good luck

· Registered
11 Posts
The bass fishing can be fun. You should have some Walleye, or Sauger or even Saugeye, then theres catfish and pan fish. Nashville it not to far away from Land between the lakes. It is a pretty cool area to explore.

· Registered
4 Posts
Grew up fishing back East, primarily mid-Atlantic both inland and off-shore I much prefer the big game opportunities the mid-Atlantic presents than out here on the Pacific coast, Yellowfin, Bluefin, Bigeye Tuna, White and Blue Marlin, Wahoo, King Mackerel, Amberjack, Mahi Mahi, etc the list goes on and on. Also gotta love the blue 80 degree gulf stream water. If you make it out there book an offshore charter out of the Outer Banks, you'll understand what I'm saying.

You might want to check out this link to Tennessee record fish:

http://www.tennessee.gov/twra/fish/FishRecTbl.html

BTW, the largest Stripper (what we call Rockfish back east) was caught off North Carolina coast and weighed 125 Lbs.

My wife and I have an opportunity to move to NE TN and may take the offer.

IMHO, fishing is fishing whether it's here or there; beats the hell out of work any day.

· Registered
962 Posts
goin fishin... do du do... with Bill Dance today. Sorry, I watched that show by accident last weekend.

About 8 years ago I moved to northern Iowa. Sure I had minnesota and its 10 bijilion lakes and all. I never realized how bad the salmon/steelhead fever I had was untill I pulled into that state.
Every day I would think about the rivers and the ocean. I missed the moldy air of oregon. I could only take it about a year and got the hell out of there and never looked back.
When I caught my first steelhead when I came back, I wanted to make out with it. I ate it instead.

· Registered
128 Posts
I've got a buddy that works for Blackberry Farms (Trout fishing resort) who fishes for trout in the hills surrounding Nashville and does quite well with the occational fish 18" or better, so all is not lost! Good Luck

· Registered
142 Posts
Lets see ,theres water moccasins,rattle snakes,cotton mouths,oh yeah and pan fish :bigshock:
Bob
you forgot ticks,ticks,ticks and more ticks. I was just there in april and I saw alot of sparkly go fast boats around the land between the lakes,although I was there to do some turkey hunting I was very happy to see my home in the great northwest. you just cant try to find the northwest there because the northwest its not.give me a pm if you want more info

· Registered
241 Posts
I was born and raised in West Tennessee and lived there until June of 06 when I moved to heaven. Fishing in TN lacks the excitement of the hunt. Almost all fish will run less than 3 pounds and most are considered keepers. Reelfoot lake in northwest TN offers some of the best crappie and bluegill fishing around, but its so overfished, pan sized keepers are hard to find. Trolling with 6 poles is common with 2 hooks per rig. This time of year, temperatures hit the 100's and humidity usually runs high as well, except fo this year where drought is taking its toll on man and beast alike. Bluegill are a favorite now with hot weather. Use a cricket on a 6 foot line and dip it around stumps and weeds to find a hit. They are good fighters by southern standards, but a 1 pounder is hard to find.
Catfish are common in the Mississippi river and some lowlying areas where the river fills it in during the flooding season. Noodling, or cowboying, is not as common as the discovery channel likes to air, but I have done it and its a rush.:clap:

Large lakes and man made resevoirs like LBL (land-between-the-lakes) is great for fishing and boating. BUT for me, now, Oregon is home. My daughter will be born any day now, my first summer chinook hooked me hard, and fall salmon are beginning to run through my veins. Good luck on your move, can I use your rock?

PM me for more info. I'll be glad to share my southern accent with all ya'll.:)

Tom aka Tennessee

· Registered
516 Posts
My daughter will be born any day now, my first summer chinook hooked me hard, and fall salmon are beginning to run through my veins. Good luck on your move, can I use your rock?

PM me for more info. I'll be glad to share my southern accent with all ya'll.:)

Tom aka Tennessee
Just wait till you get visited by Mr. Albacore- you'll be ruined for life:bigshock:

· Registered
1,185 Posts
I travel everywhere in the US on a regular basis -sometimes as much as 30 weeks a year-- and lived on the east coast for a few years (Boston). It is now in my contract that I will always be back in Portland by Friday night (for a reason).
I've spent many months of my life in the area around Nashville, and IMHO you're going to be disappointed if you try to compare the PacNW with that part of the country. The Atlantic isn't close, you're talking about a major time and $$ committment to get there; even then, remember that the cost of everything tends to be higher. I would weigh the comments of Bass-ackwards heavily...notice he refers to this area as 'heaven'? It's no joke...I'm always happy when I get on a plane headed back to Portland...no where else compares. Fishing is only part of that equation.
Good luck in making your choice...if you do go, let us know when you decide to move back :wink:
SC

· Registered
736 Posts
We'd always go down and visit granny. She'd give us a cane pole and we'd fish for "drum". Cousins would always go with chicken liver for cats. Have one cousin down there that goes for bass.

· Registered
70 Posts
I lived there 1st 19 years of my life in middle Tennessee on a tobacco/pig/cow farm right on a big lake called Center Hill Lake. It is nothing like out here. Yeah we have catfish, walleye, bass, panfish, and drum but those arent the same as salmon,, ling, and tuna. In the tailwaters of the dams most have brown or rainbow trout but I think majority are plants. Now I do know in some of the big lakes they have landlocked stripers which are pretty big. 30-50 lb class but it is pretty specialized fishery. When I was a kid we would go out in the evening and cruise lake looking for fish boils where schools of striper were ripping into the baitfish. Would stop and live bait or spoon them. That was pretty fun but doesnt happen often anymore. If your into catching big fish you will think life sucks back there I think. On the plus side biloxi MS isnt too far south from Nashville and coast of the Carolinas isnt too far east. Days drive both ways give or take a little. Deer hunting is killer in TN too. 3-4 Deer a year is not hard too do as long as you have freezer. Nashville has Old Hickory Lake so if you google that it probably has some sites and Center Hill Lake is about 45 min East from Nashville. Life is cheaper back there too. Can get a house and land for near nothing.

· Registered
70 Posts
Oh yeah and cant forget the ticks. I was home 2 months ago and went down my dads holler for about 2 hours and had 8 ticks on me when I got back. Saw about 50 turkeys down there though. Turkeys are everywhere back there now if you like hunting them. Not many poults made it this year from a bad freeze they had in late spring so that may affect it in future. I like smoked wild turkey. mmm mmm

· Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I appreciate all of the replies! I've been spending about every other week there for the last 8 mo or so. I do look forward to the flight home as well...

I'm born & bred in the NW (WA, OR & AK) and would definately not want to spend 20 years in TN... It will be hard to weigh the professional oportunity (& money), against the lifestyle of the NW.

The wife is holding the key in the decision...:cheers:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.