IFish.net banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning a trip up to Sitka this spring and was wondering if anyone on the board has fished this area? We are going out with a guide for Salmon, Halibut, and other bottom fish. Any insight to this area would be great.

Thanks!

·
Registered
94 Posts
On the island itself, there are some seasonal fishing opportunities. Some fly fishing folks fish for cutthroats and other fish at the mouths of creeks flowing into saltwater. There is a fly fishing shop in town near the library that can help more with this.

If you're on the salt, I'm sure your guides will get you into plenty of fish.

·
Registered
709 Posts
I have made 4 trips to Sitka over the last 10 years. It is beautiful country and can be great fishing. Spring will be for Kings with some coho thrown in. The later in spring that you go the more chances for coho. I caught my largest coho up there 8 years ago - 22.5 #'s! The Kings can grow to 50# or maybe a 60#, but the bigger ones have seemed harder to come by the last few years. Fishing is fishing and the spring run can be slow, so don't be disappointed if you run into a fishless or few fish day, just enjoy. If you are going with a guide, I am sure I can't add too much to their "local knowledge" Oh, Halibut as well, maybe not the three hudred #er's of Homer, but I did put a 150#er in the boat one year.(besides, I probably wouldn't even keep one that big again, 20-60 are much better eating) Have fun!
:grin: RIPPLE :grin:

[ 11-17-2003, 03:42 PM: Message edited by: RIPPLE ]

·
Registered
327 Posts
I have also been there several times, there is a outfit called KINGFISHER CHARTERS that is a class act. they will share there information with you call a guy named SETH BONE he is the owner and one heck of a nice guy...he will stear you in the right direction..

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Pounddown nailed it. Seth has a great setup and is a great guy. His company is called Kingfisher Charters. If you type "Seth Bone Sitka" into Google only without the "", you will find several links of information and his phone number. As far as the dates, I like May and June but Seth will hook you up.

D.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
I grew up with seths brother in law CJ Nellis and fish every spring with him on the Chinook! First class operation!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Brand new to the board but I can say a little about Sitka...Just got back from there a few months ago and had a ball. Fished several days with friends and then went out with KingFishers and nailed the Halibut and Salmon. I fished with Captain John. Great guide and is an Oregon native who graduated from Tigard HS. Dress warm as you are heading into some cold weather up there right now. Be safe and have a good time.

PS:My buddy is the head wrestling coach at Sitka...if you get bored in the evening maybe catch a match and say hello for me.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Just a little IFISH humor for you. Seth Bones wifes name is Somean. GET IT. SOME MEAN BONE! HAHA>>> GREAT PEOPLE>>>>

·
Registered
264 Posts
I have fished Sitka at least once each summer for the last 15+ years. I think it is the best place on the planet for saltwater salmon fishing and the halibut fishing is excellent as well. I have been lucky enough to have caught 2 kings over 50# and a 300+# halibut. I intend to continue my trips each year. I would highly recomend Island View Charters and Resort. They are a first class operation and Kevin McNamee and his crew will put you on the fish. His web site is: http://www.islandviewcharters.com/.

Enjoy Sitka!

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Kevin and Tina are great people as well. Bruce Gipple is there and also running one of the finest charter fleets I have ever seen. Great Captain Great Crew. AWSOME NEW BOATS! Way to go Bruce!

·
Registered
8,038 Posts
I've guided a summer out of Sitka as well as spent two other summers working at a remote hatchery in the Sitka area (90 miles away) and it is the best salt water fishing.

The location is also some of the most beautiful in the world. The town is very nice too. If only they had some big rivers to fish chinook in I'd love to live there.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts