IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am just curious, When someone goes with you on your boat is it wrong to think they would help pay for some gas. Or do you say I was going anyway
so it is no big thing. I know before I bought my boat I allways chiped in gas money. I was just wondering :shrug:

·
Registered
6,936 Posts
I usually don't accept any gas money, but every situation and person is different. IMHO, it depends on who invited who, and did they meet you at the ramp or ride down with you. I live in PDX, and if it's springers on the CR or Willamette, then gas doesn't matter much. But if your down at Coos Bay in a 22' V8-powered sled towed by a 10mpg pickup with gas at $2 a gallon, then gas is very much an issue.
I'm one of the "I was going anyway" crowd, unless it was somebody else's idea to fish a certain spot that was farther away and took more gas. Even then I just tell whoever to buy or supply lunch or bait and I'll cover the gas. Seems less miserly. :smile:
An offer of gas money is always appreciated, though. If I'm riding with somebody else, I always offer.

[ 09-07-2003, 06:11 PM: Message edited by: 1pump ]

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
When i take someone with me i always cover the gas ,gear ,and bait if they bring the food and drinks. But i think it is common courtesy to offer up any help when offered the chance to go out with someone else on their boat. Just like when someone invites you to a BBQ or dinner you ask , Can i bring anything? Just my $.02 :cheers:

·
Registered
523 Posts
My gas issue is with the car. I plan on buying all the gas if I'm driving but will gladly accept if the buddy wants to pay half. I always insist on helping if I'm the passenger. Some folks just don't get it though. I took this one guy fishing several times, out of town, and I always drove and bought the gas and he never offered to help. I even ended up buying us both dinner on the way back because he never had any money and I didn't want to eat in front of him. Well, the last time we went (a couple years ago) he drove, and hadn't filled up before he picked me up. Well, when he stopped to buy gas on the way back he didn't have any money. :hoboy:

I would expect gas on a boat to be a similar issue, most certainly if it is a jetboat.

Kevin

·
Registered
5,167 Posts
Hey, whether you accept or not is up to you. I fish in a lot of circles and I would say it's customary to offer (and accept) but in some circumstances (such as the aforementioned springer trip, say for an afternoon if they meet me at the boat), it's not an issue. If the only way you can afford to go is to have them chip in, then ask them if they mind chipping in $10 or $20 or whatever or ask the people that typically offer. Now, for someone to not even offer is either rude or naive, IMO. The only thing that's worse is when they catch a salmon, you don't, and they don't even offer to share (especially if you're out of salmon as I typically am in March or April)!

I only trust a very few people to bring the right food.

My $.02,
Biederboat

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
I think it is perfectly acceptable to accept gas money from someone fishing with you especially if you provide the gear, the boat, and the bait. I don't usually expect money though from friends who have there own boats who I fish with in their boats as well. It kind of works out as an even trade. Fishing is an expensive endeavor why should you foot the entire bill for someone who is not willing to make an investment themselves.

G

·
With the price of gas so high it's a must to at least offer. The boat owner may not accept but always offer...always.
Just my opinion.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I think it all depends on a lot of things, many mentioned above, but to me it is common courtisy to offer for gas. I for one could not take my boat out for ocean fishing very many times without some financial help.

Just because you were the one who asked if they would like to go fishing does not mean you have to cover the whole expenses all the time. Somewhat different than a BarBQue.

There are many other expenses a boat owner has as insurance, moorage, trailer maintenance, licenses, not to mention boat & motor maintenance & vehicle expenses.

Listed below is a website page off PSA that covers a lot of this.

http://www.pugetsoundanglers.org/Miscl_Folder/Guest%20Etiquette1.htm

·
Registered
138 Posts
I would say it is somewhat rude not to ask unless you are best friends. My fishing buddy and I (the overfishin condition) do enough fishing and hunting together that we just try to even out who brings what, or I drove this time, your next time. We always use my boat, and with him I never worry about gas, cause he will drive next time hunting. However, If I take people I dont know well, but I know wanna fish, especially if they ask if I would take them, I expect atleast an offer of gas money. My boat has a 52 gallon tank, with a 5L V8. Im only 19 and its tough to drop 60-100bucks in gas, so thats why I ask for help if they dont offer. I hate to ask but sometimes its is just what you have to do.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts