IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's the most dangerous part of salmon/steelhead fishing?

1) The drive to the river

2) The drift (in boat)

3) The wading

4) Encounters with wildlife

5) Encounters with people

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
The wading in my opinion. Especially if you are all alone and far from help. One of my fishing mentors suffered a compound fracture of his lower leg over on the D. He was 2 mi. from the car and like 15-20 mi. from town. Did I mention he drove a manual trans! He made it and now has to wear a brace on his leg, whenever he wades or skis or does anything active. I know I know you are much more likely to die in the car on the way there. But that's a danger with driving not fishing.

Mike H.

P.S. Always be wary of the moving rock!

[ 04-21-2003, 04:47 PM: Message edited by: Bankbound ]

·
Registered
4,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Tim,
Are there other dangers I didn't think of? Heart attack when a 30 pound steelhead grabs your lure? :smile:

·
Registered
13,978 Posts
Hands down humans. Every time my wife adds up what gets spent at Fishermans Marine, I feel like I am in grave danger!

Mark and the kevlar dog.

·
Registered
4,035 Posts

I HAVE BEEN BITTEN BY A RATTLESNAKE

ON THE DESCHUTES RIVER

IF YOU FISH IT LIKE SOME PEOPLE DUE YOU CAN'T BUT NOT SEE AT LEASED 1 PER YEAR, OR WALKING ON THE BANKS YOU SEE ALOT.

THE DRIVE NO
FALLING IN NO BUT THEY DO IT, AND YOU BECOME DEAD

BE VERRY CAREFUL HERE OR THERE. :shrug: :shrug:

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
Oh -this ones easy. The possibility of being trampled or horned to death by an Elk 12 miles off cape disapointment is clearly the most dangerous thing about fishing! :shocked: :grin: :laugh:

·
Registered
4,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My dangerous encounters salmon/steelheading:

Car accident in January 1998 on the way to the Clackamas. One driver life-flighted, 2 SUV's totalled, mine gone for 5 weeks. Another driver had fallen asleep at the wheel.

In 2001, almost hit a cow standing in the middle of Hwy 216 on a moonless night on my way to the Deschutes. Lucky I didn't roll my Pathfinder.

Had a fisherman threaten me with a gun for standing in "his spot" on the Sandy River in 2000. He didn't show it, but I didn't give him the chance, as he seemed like he might have been the type dumb enough to use it.

I saw a guy nearly swept down the Deschutes trying to follow a steelhead back in 1998 or so. He wound in a fast run up to his shoulders and broke his rod trying to get out.

I've had 2 rattlesnakes coil at me on the Deschutes along the bank path near Maupin. Both happened the same day in May of 1998 and neither made a sound. I would have stepped on both if I hadn't been looking.

I had a drunk local try to force his way into my SUV near Maupin several years ago after his truck broke down. I don't think he had malicious intent, but he was so drunk, I sped off, so as not to find out.

I suppose I wouldn't go if it weren't for all those silver grabbers!

·
Registered
885 Posts
Since most of us don't live close enough to a river to walk to our favorite fishing spot, driving to the river is always the most dangerous thing we do. The second most dangerous is wading. But it's not even close to driving.

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Bonk- if you think its bad up there you should come down to california. its a complete zoo. I am certain that the cops down give a damn how fast you are going unless they are chasing you. I have seen cars speed past ambulances with their lights flashing. Its a nut house.

I too would have to say the drive because it is the one thing that you dont really control. all the other aspects I feel i have some sort of control over.
If you know what you are doing you should be able to have some control over 2-4.

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
BonkBonk, come on, everyone knows that those people in Idaho with the litte 2C's on their plates are AWFUL drivers!!!

·
Registered
784 Posts
Hoosier Daddy, you're right there on the 2C's, but Ada County sure has it's fair share of nut cases. :mad:

No competing with California as stated by another. Their highways/roadways and drivers are horrifying. :shocked:

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
California IS a nut house...but they ain't got nothin' on the drivers in Rio De Janeiro, Brazil. In Rio they speak Portugese and drive like mad fools...and after dark, they don't use their headlights :shocked: except for a brief flash as they approach intersections, usually at high speed...which translates "Get the HELL out of my way!" Cars have the right-of-way in Rio, day or night...pedestrians are on their own. Vehicular manslaughter, if the driver can get away and avoid arrest for 24 hrs., is apparently no big deal...down in Rio. :wink:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts