IFish.net banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering what opinions were for people fishing there alone? I've been told that it's way to crowded and you need someone else there to help with the boat when fighting fish. I feel that I can handle it.It's just unloading and loading the boat that I'm more concerned about. I've found that it's almost impossible to unload your boat at a couplke of coastal bays by yourself

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
I hate to sound like a bummer, but if loading and unloading is your only concern, dont go alone. Get you seats filled. Post your open seats here. If your going this weekend and have room for 2 extras would be glad to buy bait and fuel. Anyways it gets cramped out there and fighting fish and trying to drive is a big task, it can be done though. Put your big fenders out . :wink:

·
Registered
3,321 Posts
It is my opinion that to fish a busy bouy 10 fishery, you need three people in the boat. One to fight the fish, one to net it, and one to stay on the motor at all times watching for the other guys. If both fishermen are good at netting their own fish, you can get by with only two. Just too much going on out there.

Be safe.

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
Boy you could'nt hit it on the nail head, I have a seat, but no boat and would be happy to join you, gas, bait, O we have a fire over here, again, O back to fishing.
There are so many boats, to many cranky people like they said get 3 people and you well be a happy fisherman. Tight Lines River-Rat

·
Registered
8,038 Posts
I load and unload my boat every single day alone but I wouldn't think of fishing at B10 alone.

I might fish alone up river were boats are spread out a little but with the current and all the boats the more people in the boat the better.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
I wouldn't recommend it. It could be done but it would be more of a headache then a enjoyable trip. Lots of guys on here that would love to do the dirty work of netting your fish though. Better of going on a blind date with an ifisher than doing battle at b10.

·
Registered
5,146 Posts
If you're going to do it (and I've done it enough), here's some tips:

1. Don't launch at the busiest times.
2. If you have a reliably "sticky" trailer that won't let your boat onto the pavement, tie the bow line to your winch tower. Drop boat in water, pull out a bit but not enough to pull the bow line tight (it may bang your boat against the trailer). Get out quickly and tie boat up and come back. Don't do this when it's real busy but I do it all the time and have never ****ed anyone off.
3. Don't fish around the crowds, go around 14-16 or the old yellow can area where boats are more spread out. Stay where the water is calm. I seem to catch a lot of my fish where the crowds are not.
4. Be extra safe, wear PFD all the time.

Biederboat

·
Premium Member
6,263 Posts
What biederboat said was very accurate, good advice.

The B-10 area is extremly large, from the imaginery line at buoy 10, past the Astoria/Megler bridge and up to I believe Rocky Point. In all that water extending over 13 to 15 miles, the only place you should NEVER fish alone is close to Buoy 10 itself, what many call the line, it's combat fishing at it's worse. The currents are to large, boat traffic is like a freeway, simply to hard to handle a boat and fish together. When the current is running strong at the LINE, it's extremly easy to get a boat sideways in a split second.

So instead, if you want to relax, catch some fish and have a great time, even if your fishing alone, stay away from the crowds. The pouplar crowded locations are buoy 10, the Washington side between Illwaco and Chinook, the Washington side of the Astoria/Megler bridge, this area extends from 1/2 mile above the bridge to downstream from the bridge and across from the church. The bulk of the people follow the tides and traffic gets very congested at these locations depending on where the tide is.

Instead of fishing these locations, fish the Oregon side, or fish the middle ground between Oregon and Washington just downstream from Hammond and across the shipping channel, you'll find 20 to 35 foot water over sand, this is a great area to look for fish and does not recieve the pressure like the above locations. I call it the middle ground since the shipping channels, 1 on the Oregon side and 1 on the Washington side form the boundry's. The key here is locating depth changes, closer to buoy 10, you'll find deeper water, like 80 foot, the farther up towards the bridge you go will get shallower. Personally, I like to start at 80 feet on the incoming flood and gradually work upstream, the transition from 50 to 35 foot is a favorite, then keep working upstream towards the bridge till I'm fishing 20, sometimes even 15 feet of water. Watch the water color and try to fish green water. You can also fish the Washington side of the flats from the church up past the bridge in 20 to 15 feet of water and still catch fish. Most trollers will fish closer to the channel in 25 to 35 foot of water.

There are some very good producing locations away from the crowds, areas you can fish alone and even net your own fish. Get out and explore, a lot of times, that's half the fun.

The boat ramp. Key here is get there earlier then everyone else. I've put my boat in a 4:30 to 5am before, just so I don't have to fight the crowds. When taking out, just be patient, wait in line until a dock space opens up, tie up, dash to the truck and take out, piece of cake. Boaters should never tie to the dock unless they are next in line to take out, everyone needs to wait their turn, in the order they come into port.

Boating alone can be done and done safely, still, it's always better to fish with at least one person.

have fun and good luck,

Gregg

[ 08-20-2003, 01:00 AM: Message edited by: Hookset ]

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
I know it's not bouy 10 but I fish the Siuslaw River this time of year. I have and will be fishing this year a lot by myself. I retired :smile: my wife is still working :depressed: . I agree much more fun to fih with someone, espeially your best friend. But just use common sense and like what was said watch your location. Sometimes it's peaceful alone. Have a great salmon season.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks guys, I do fish quite a bit by myself out of Chinook landing in Gresham, I'm heading out Friday morning, Then heading to Rockaway for a few days to spend time with family.Thinking about making the trip back to Astoria Saturday\Sunday,or staying in to fish Nehalem. I just have to at least give the bouy 10 area a try this year. Afterall, isn't that why I went deep in dept to buy this boat?

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
If you can get out there on the weekdays, the pressure is significantly less. I will have open seats on several days between Aug 23rd and the 29th.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok here it goes, if someone would like to fish with me on Friday,give me a page @ 441-6567.I'll be posting on the board as well

·
Registered
6,569 Posts
Loading/unloading alone is a piece of cake.

I won't go out there alone. If I can't round up a crew, I'll hit Nehalem Bay, or some other alternative.

Three is optimum in my boat. Helm, rod, net. Two is OK, I don't really care to fish in the mob scene where you can't go left right forward or back - if I find myself in there, I'm looking for a way out. :shocked:

I need someone to call 911 if the stress gives me a heart attack. :cheers:

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Theres lots of water out there to fish in. You dont have to combat fish at B10. There are lots of areas a guy can fish at alone down there in safety. Be wary and give yourself some room if you have to go alone, but dont be afraid to go it alone. Some of my favorite days down there have been when the only passenger I had was my dog.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I agree, there are several locations down there to catch fish without battling B10. I fish alone on occasion and have a couple favorite spots I will divulge if you send me an email. Leave B10 for those with more folks in the boat to help out. :cheers: :cool:

·
Registered
12,167 Posts
I would highly advise against it. You most certainly will get into trouble with other boats.
Just no really good way to control the boat and fish while so many other boats are working the area. If you fish up by the bridge or mid river, then I'd say it can be done, but the launch can be very tough when it's crowded. Im sure you can find many eager ifishers willing to join you.
be safe!
GBS

1 - 19 of 19 Posts