IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just started teaching my neighbors grandson to fish (age 11). He lives up in McMinnville and the mother doesn't have a car but he says the river (I'm guessing the Yamhill) is within walking distance.

Anyone know anything about the Yamhill or any other places for a young inexperienced boy to practice fishing in that area?

Thanks

Greg

·
Registered
313 Posts
I fish the yamhill at dayton quite a bit. There is a bit of shoreline to fish but a boat is ideal. Good bass,crappie, and some catfish. The best bank access I think is at the park in the town of Laffaette (sp?).

·
Registered
135 Posts
I grew up in Mac. fishing the yamhill during the heat of the summer. Lots of smallmouth bass. Misc. jigs both maribou and plastics will work great, (sassy shads and mister twisters in white and rootbear colors). In the evenings and mornings try top water plugs.

·
Registered
16,613 Posts
Hey Fishsniffer! You might want to try fishing the Yamhill river at Joe Dancer park in Mcminnville. I wouldn`t recommend eating anything out of there though. But just the same, GOOD on you for teaching the kid! When you get to the park, there is a small parking lot on the right just inside the entrance. Park there and follow the path down toward the river. When the trail forks keep to the right. There is an old boat ramp down that way about 100 yds. Try there. Good luck! Fishft.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
The Yamhill is in fact full of nasty stuff. He would be better off on the North yamhill but there again our rivers in this county are in pretty bad shape. I for one would not consume any of the resident fish like bass, crappie, bullheads, etc. Best if someone can get him to Willimina to the new lake or to Hagg. Crying shame a young boy has no place to fish like i did. Baker creek used to be great for trout. Still a few there but all posted anymore.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts