IFish Fishing Forum banner

Fishing around Albany

1K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  SKP 
#1 ·
Having married an Oregonian, I travel to the beautiful state about once a year. I'll be spending my vacation there the first two weeks of August, based in Albany, Sandy and Bandon.

Since I'll be in Albany first, I thought I'd ask you folks what the fishing opportunities in the surrounding environs. Obviously the Willamette runs through it. Is it possible to fish the river from the shore? What might I catch? What other bodies of water would you recommend. Where I live, it's always possible to come upon a little pond just teeming with bass.

River fishing is pretty alien to me. I live in northern New Jersey which, perhaps contrary to popular conceptions, is full of beautiful lakes, ponds and reservoirs. Where the three northwest counties meet, there is a large pristine, forested area dedicated to providing clean water to the urban area. There are four reservoirs open to fishing, with no construction and lots of bears. With proper permit in hand, I fish there for large- and smallmouth, pickerel, walleye and trout. Lake Hopatcong is another favorite, which has all those species and more, including hybrid stripers, carp and a couple of types of catfish.

I use pretty standard light to medium tackle. Favored baits include senkos, rapalas, jitterbugs and hula poppers, phoebes and live herring (alewife).

So that's how I'm used to fishing. Any "where" and "how" advice for the Albany area would be appreciated.

Hope to tap your expertise for the Coquille, etc., soon as well. Thanks.

See less See more
#2 ·
Resevior Dog, August is tough for bank fishing around Albany. If you could find anything that would float you for a couple of miles you could fish the Willamette a couple miles above Albany. The river has seveal nice sloughs and slow spots that have both Small and Large mouth bass. It used to have plenty of nice cutthroat trout but I don't know if the water will be to warm for them. Your plugs will work fine for the bass but so will spinners like the Rooster tail. The trout like them also. I know people that like to use small flatfish for the trout also. The only problem with this whole thing is that you need to find access to a boat. If you don't have a boat there are several boat launches with docks that you could cast off of. Good luck. Grant

#3 ·
Dog,

If you are going to be here the first two weeks of August, you might consider fishing halibut out of Newport. Newport is a little over an hour from Albany. The season will be August 1&2 and 8&9.

Call Chris at Newport Bay Charters to get on a charter or go to the Salty Dogs board and post a "Any Open Seats?" thread for the weekends you will be free. I'd take you out but I melted my boat engine on the last halibut season. :depressed:

Good luck to you and enjoy your visit.

[ 07-15-2003, 08:08 AM: Message edited by: Pete ]

#5 ·
First, to SKP, I wasn't aware of the custom. I'd be happy to post a story. I recently wrote up a couple of little adventures for fishing buddy brothers and friends I'm trying to entice to come up and fish.

Thanks, Grant. That's extremely useful advice. It would be nice to at least nail a few bass. Seems as if I'll be in Albany a day longer than I thought, so I'll be looking for ways to spend my time.

Phil, I'm definitely going to go out on the ocean once in Bandon. I'm not sure I'll be able to to Newport during the Albany leg of the trip, but I thank you for giving me Chris' number. If I don't use it this trip, there's a very good chance I'll use it on another.

I have only so much budget for charter and guided fishing, but the opportunities are tempting.

#6 ·
You may want to try Thomas Creek near Jefferson on the lower reaches. Not much access unless you ask landowners near the two lower bridges. Used to be good smallie fishing. Light tackle and small plastics have worked in the past. Also there's a pond in Lebanon just east of Albany I see a lot of people fishing when I go on my way to Green Peter. It's on the left just as you leave town and you can't miss it. There's strong rumors of warmwater fishing here and most of the people bank fish here. It's the only major road really leaving town to the east. Sorry, I'm not good on road numbers but a local map or maybe someone else can fill in the blanks. Tight Lines
<)))><

#7 ·
Dog,

If you are looking for bass try the willammette river greenway off of river road. River road T's with Hwy 34 on the way into Corvallis. There are some decent sized bass in the pond. My biggest is about 3# but I've seen guys with larger ones. They usually use topwaters in the morning or evening or grubs/worms. All of mine have been caught while killing time fly fishing for bluegill. Plugs are not a good choice as the pond is weedy this late in the year

Good luck - TAKO

#8 ·
If you find a boat, go catch some trout then go find a hole with some good current and look for a sturgeon or two. You'd want to be around the Peoria/Corvallis area for this. I'm assuming that if you find a boat, you'd also find a guy that knew somehting about this and the type of gear you'd need.
BTW, my ex lives in Jersey. If you married her (yes she's from Albany) DON'T BRING HER BACK!!! :grin: :grin: Or at least make sure you take her back to Jersey with ya! :laugh:

#9 ·
Some replies to those kind enough to write:

Trout Tako: Thanks. It will be easy to investigate this one. I appreciate the word on the weed conditions.

Wannabe: I've driven through Lebanon in the past. I'm sure I can find the spot you reference. It would be fun to catch a few smallies. I appreciate it.

NorRivDave: Thanks for an amusing post. If only I could find that boat you write about! If by "ex" you mean ex-wife, then it's not my girl. Anyhow, I think the real danger is she might try to import me to Oregon, since I'm not likely to resist.

#10 ·
I also wanted to note, particularly to SKP, that I have taken the trouble to post a fishing story, but no one seems to have paid any attention, if the total absence of replies is any indication.

SKP, since you are the proximate cause of the story's appearance, I hope you at least will give it a read!

#11 ·
There is the South Santiam River for summer steelhead (average 8-10 pounds) and spring chinook (average 15 to 20 pounds). You drift a small orange or red or whatever color corky on a bare size 1 or 2 hook with or without colored yarn (some use scent). Go with 6 or 8 pound test leader about 36-48" in low summer water conditions in August. Put on some pencil lead above your leader, enough to bounce the river bottom, but not snag up. You cast up stream about 45 degrees. You let the rig get to the bottom, and you will feel your weight ocassionaly bounce the bottom. If it constantly bounces, lighten up your weight. If it doesn't bounce, then you need more weight. It takes a little practice. Keep doing that cast after cast. Pretty soon (or long) you'll feel a nible. Set the hook, and out will fly a steelhead. Summer steelhead go ape this time of year. You hook them, and they go bananas, out of the water, fast runs, tail walking, etc..., just keep your drag set loose enough to allow them to take line, not break line. You'll have to let them take several runs to tire them out, as they are a very spunky fish with attitudes when Mr. Mustad is in their mouth.

You want to get a spot in the late summer with riffles, but not too fast. I would try Wiley Creek area just below Foster Dam above the town of Sweet Home on the South Santiam River. Or try Waterloo park, in Waterloo. Its about 25 or so miles from Albany. There's lots of steelhead water in there. You'll not be alone, so intently watch what the regulars are doing, and then when you see someone land one, go tell them howdy, nice fish, but actually watch keenly what they were using to catch the fish when you are saying howdy. That's how I learned.

As they say, do as the locals do.

This river is crawling with summer steelhead and spring chinook salmon right now. Keep in mind if you catch a salmon, you can't keep them after August 14, as the season for salmon closes on that river on August 15.

Go to the G.I. Joes sporting goods store in Albany, and ask questions. Or go to Sportsman's Warehouse in Salem and ask questions. These two stores can give you a wealth of info for fishing this area.

Good luck, and post how you did, I'll be curious in August.

SKP

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.