IFish Fishing Forum banner

Fishing around Albany

1K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  SKP 
#1 ·
Having married an Oregonian, I travel to the beautiful state about once a year. I'll be spending my vacation there the first two weeks of August, based in Albany, Sandy and Bandon.

Since I'll be in Albany first, I thought I'd ask you folks what the fishing opportunities in the surrounding environs. Obviously the Willamette runs through it. Is it possible to fish the river from the shore? What might I catch? What other bodies of water would you recommend. Where I live, it's always possible to come upon a little pond just teeming with bass.

River fishing is pretty alien to me. I live in northern New Jersey which, perhaps contrary to popular conceptions, is full of beautiful lakes, ponds and reservoirs. Where the three northwest counties meet, there is a large pristine, forested area dedicated to providing clean water to the urban area. There are four reservoirs open to fishing, with no construction and lots of bears. With proper permit in hand, I fish there for large- and smallmouth, pickerel, walleye and trout. Lake Hopatcong is another favorite, which has all those species and more, including hybrid stripers, carp and a couple of types of catfish.

I use pretty standard light to medium tackle. Favored baits include senkos, rapalas, jitterbugs and hula poppers, phoebes and live herring (alewife).

So that's how I'm used to fishing. Any "where" and "how" advice for the Albany area would be appreciated.

Hope to tap your expertise for the Coquille, etc., soon as well. Thanks.

See less See more
Discussion starter · #5 ·
First, to SKP, I wasn't aware of the custom. I'd be happy to post a story. I recently wrote up a couple of little adventures for fishing buddy brothers and friends I'm trying to entice to come up and fish.

Thanks, Grant. That's extremely useful advice. It would be nice to at least nail a few bass. Seems as if I'll be in Albany a day longer than I thought, so I'll be looking for ways to spend my time.

Phil, I'm definitely going to go out on the ocean once in Bandon. I'm not sure I'll be able to to Newport during the Albany leg of the trip, but I thank you for giving me Chris' number. If I don't use it this trip, there's a very good chance I'll use it on another.

I have only so much budget for charter and guided fishing, but the opportunities are tempting.

Discussion starter · #9 ·
Some replies to those kind enough to write:

Trout Tako: Thanks. It will be easy to investigate this one. I appreciate the word on the weed conditions.

Wannabe: I've driven through Lebanon in the past. I'm sure I can find the spot you reference. It would be fun to catch a few smallies. I appreciate it.

NorRivDave: Thanks for an amusing post. If only I could find that boat you write about! If by "ex" you mean ex-wife, then it's not my girl. Anyhow, I think the real danger is she might try to import me to Oregon, since I'm not likely to resist.

Discussion starter · #10 ·
I also wanted to note, particularly to SKP, that I have taken the trouble to post a fishing story, but no one seems to have paid any attention, if the total absence of replies is any indication.

SKP, since you are the proximate cause of the story's appearance, I hope you at least will give it a read!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.