IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What a day yesterday! Fishing was horrible, but my experience was interesting none the less.

I decided that I had to go to Astoria and give Salmon fishing a try. First time I have ever been Salmon fishing and not on a charter boat. It was also my first time out in Astoria. So a buddy of mine and his son took off early in the morning and put in at Hammond.

My intention was to stay around the bridge and fish and if things weren't any good I'd go look at the bar and determine if I wanted to go over or not. Well things didn't exactly happen like that. After leaving the port I just followed the other boats toward buoy 10, and everything was going so well next thing I new we were out and over. It was certainly choppy but nothing as bad as I remember when I was a kid. I did a lot of research and reading others posts and felt I could probably do it safely.

Since we were out we started fishing. We caught one small Nate and let it go. Not too much longer my passenger weren't feeling too well. So they asked to go back in where it was calmer. I think his comment was "I don't care how many fish there are out here".

I didn't expect to have to come in when I did and this made things interesting. It was about 7:30 am and the tide was well on its way out. Coming back over the bar was definitely nerve racking. The swells were pretty big, probably 5 - 6 ft and they were starting to crest. After all the reading I remembered to just stay on the back of the waves at a 90-degree angle. This worked really great and for the most part it was a relatively smooth transition, compared to going out. A lot of throttle work though.

It was also amazing to me listening to the marine VHF how many people have issues crossing the bar. I heard at least 3 boats call in when their engine quit while crossing the bar. Talk about SCARY!!!!

It was an experience I won't forget. It was exhilarating and yet I learned a couple of things:

1. Ask my passengers before they go out there whether or not they get seasick.

2. The river is rough too, so my wife won't be going.

3. I won't be going over the bar too often.

·
Registered
7,949 Posts
:shocked:

"It was about 7:30 am and the tide was well on its way out."

Glad you're okay. I hope in the future you "just say no" to crossing on the outgoing tide. Things could have gone the other way for you.

·
Registered
11,223 Posts
Dont cross on the outgoing, the Columbia Bar is one of the most danerous in the world... no fish is worth it! Those fish will be heading upriver soon enough and you can get them on anchor while sipping a beverage of your choice :cheers:

Glad things worked out for you :smile:

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I plan on going in a couple of weeks, this time though I am planning on waiting until they come to me. I am sure the trip will be way more enjoyable and a lot less excitement.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
I have several things to say, but if I did, I'd have to come back later and edit my reply.

Wear your PFD's and good luck....

·
Banned
19,959 Posts
RV10,you got lucky this time,do not press your luck. Hook up with an old salt and learn the ropes before venturing out into the big blue.

·
Administrator
119,699 Posts
Yeah, guys... This one is a fact.

You just don't want to be out at 10, or crossing on an outgoing tide. You just plain don't! Not on the Columbia... Huhhhh uh!

I've heard too many terrible stories. From my Dad, from Bill, and... from relatives of lost fishermen and women. :depressed:

Jen

1 - 7 of 7 Posts