IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It is almost more than I can stand. I cant take being away from the rivers of Oregon, especially this time of year. Better yet, I read all of the posts and see all of the pics, which makes it worse.

Instead of having pics of cars or girls hanging around my bed, like the rest of the soldiers, I have pictures of Alumawelds and fish. I have printed pics from this site to hand around my bunk to keep me semi-sedated. I have issues of Salmon Trout Steelhead magazine sent to me.

Is it an addiction for which there is no cure? Is it an undiscovered illness for which the cure is more of it? Or is it an obsession that an appitite cannot be satisfied? I often wonder if it is a medical or psychological disorder.

Comparitively speaking, when questioning the sanity of fishermen, and determining wether their condition is an addiction or illness, it can be relatively justified. Outdoors, friends, water, fish...and on and on. You don't hear golfers talking years later about the one that got away, or how big their last catch is. But, day after day they whack a little ball and then have to chase it. Heck, I have a dog to retreive the ball so I don't have to chase it, how smart is a golfer?

Well, after this deployment I intend on continuing my education in the field of psychology, specializing in fishing addictions. :cheers:

· Registered
41 Posts
That is a great question and I am sure it has been discussed plenty of times by the members of this board. I on the other hand am about as close to divorce as you want to get, I am also addicted to fishing bad, I have more corkies, plugs and hooks than anyone I know, and I will end up using them all at some point in my life. I went into the wrong line of work, I should have been a guide so I might have calmed down my appetite for catching fish, but instead I am a damn computer geek and sit in an office all damn day. Good luck in Iraq, We all think about you gys and hope you make it home safe.

[ 01-12-2004, 04:43 PM: Message edited by: Fish Chaser ]

· Registered
2,877 Posts
Hey Diamondfish....when you get back, look me up. I'll take you fishing, least I can do for a fellow Vet. Stay safe

· Registered
1,661 Posts
Originally posted by Fish Chaser:
...I am a damn computer geek and sit in an office all damn day.
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">I resemble that remark! :grin:

Originally posted by Fish Chaser:
Good luck in Iraq, We all think about you gys and hope you make it home safe..
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">I second that - get home safe.

Thanks for doing what you do. Same goes for the vets that read this. Without you guys we and those abroad that have been helped would not live the way we do today.

My buddy is 30 miles West of Haditha on the main road in from Syria. Been over there now for almost a year and slated to come home in April. Will be cool to see him when he gets home to friends and family.

Link to some pics of Oregon rivers. Stay safe man - god bless. :smile:

StinkyH

[ 01-12-2004, 06:00 PM: Message edited by: StinkyH ]

G

·
Both, or is addiction and illness the same thing, especially with fishing? :smile:

:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: to you and everyone there. Come home soon and safe. :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

Rick

· Registered
Salmon, steelhead, Kokanee, trout, bass, boat or bank
4,392 Posts
So what if I tied up 150 2 hook leaders last night, once I get started it's hard to stop :grin: .

We are keeping you all in are prayers, thank you for all you are doing

Fishalot

· Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Fishalot,

This is exactly the obsessive compulsive behavoir in which I speak. Now determining when to say when is a personal issue. My wife seems to be the one to tell me when I have fished enough or played with my gear in the shop enough.

Mabe this is good therapy, because I am over the denial stage, that I suffer from an acute case of fishing feaver, that only more fishing can satisfy.

This simply goes way beyond the old "Fishaholics". This disease I have renders me usless during salmon and steelhead season. I have fishing gear and lures scattered throughout every room in my house. I have rods and reels that I carefully inspect while watching tv with my wife. I organize my tackle boxes while watching tv, with my wife. I am hopeless according to my wife.

My wife is learning to live with this seasonal degenerative illness. I fear that this my be contagious, and she will be infected with it too (I hope, so it can justify my need for more gear).

I hope that there is never a cure for it other than more time with lines in the water. :cheers:

· Registered
3,815 Posts
Addiction??? Illness??? Absolutely not! It is the only way to true mental health, and without it, we are like sailors with scurvy craving vitamin C. It is not the fishing that makes us ill. The fishing makes us feel normal. It is the lack of fishing that makes us ill, and fishing is the cure.

happybrew

[ 01-12-2004, 10:07 PM: Message edited by: happybrew ]

· Registered
2,688 Posts
I don't know which it is but I have it BAD
, as does my husband. I know I can't go any length of time without wishing to be fishing!!! Compulsion, addiction, illness or all of the above, I got it, and it's all his fault!!! :grin:

Thanks for all your sacrifices and hope you can be home soon. :bowdown: :bowdown:

Dipnet :grin:

· Registered
6,055 Posts
I think H-brew put it best.

I remember when I was deployed overseas in the Navy, waiting like a freak for my STS to show up in the mail (usually over a month behind and trashed by the time it got flown/floated out there, but hey--you take what you can get). At least we have the internet now to get a fake fix on the quick.

· Registered
200 Posts
Obsessive, compulsive behavior affects many no matter what they do. If you are good at it, or if you want to be good at it, then you can’t get enough of it. Fishing, golfing, tennis, baseball, football, you name it. Just remember that even though this is a fishing forum and you may not care for another sport, it doesn’t mean that others don’t enjoy those sports. Don’t knock it until you have tried it. I respect those that can pull a fish out of a stream while others are scratching their heads trying to figure out how. I respect all of those that are really good at what they do no matter what it is. Good luck in your tour of duty in Iraq, I also am a veteran of Vietnam and know how hard it is to be away from home in a hostile environment. Thank you very much for serving this great country.

· Registered
7,824 Posts
Read this post on the Salty Dogs board and you tell me whether fishing is an addiction or an illness or whatever. http://www.ifish.net/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=21;t=003586 We actually have to organize meetings to get eachother through the winter. In our case, it's TUNA!holism, but whatever form it takes, it's tough when you can't do what you love.

Come home safe!

· Registered
3,392 Posts
Grantspastor,

How is fishing a sin?

You can PM me if you think this is not for the general Ifish community. But maybe it is.

SKP

[ 01-14-2004, 01:52 PM: Message edited by: SKP ]

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.