IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to the in-laws this next weekend. The live right on the Sandy River near Brightwood. Are there any fish in that thar river above the damn? If so, fly fishing or spinning rig?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
217 Posts
you better read the reg's....No fishing for steelhead or salmon above Marmot.only trout..no limits on size amount on brooks,,,,It wont be long an they will stop salmon an an steelhead on the hole river like they are purposely killing ALL steelhead going above N.Fork on the clackamas (Summer Run)they claim the arnt indigious to the upper clack!...they ruined a great run an great summer camping an getaway for many families!!! :mad:

·
Banned
2,392 Posts
Floatin Mule- You just touched a nerve my friend. I won't get started on the Upper Clackamas steelhead, because I feel so robbed of great water and a great fish. I'm 22, and have never had the pleasure of landing a steelhead above N. Fork dam. Instead I get to hear stories from my dad and his friends about 20 fish days up by the Colawash R. and Indian Henry campground.

·
Registered
676 Posts
They already ruined the sandy in my opinion by releasing the smolts at cedar creek. Now you cant even go on a wednesday and get away from the crowds.I guess ill have to find another secret spot.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Steelhead 22, well this is in my backyard an fished it all my life an it was the peace of mind to get away from crowds,, there was always a place that held fish, like you say all the way up the Colawash..this is where we as sportsman need to get involved.. Who cares that the fish were indigious to the upper clack...It was a strong run! Ive been told we will never fish this area again..They are Trappin the fish below N.fork daily an takeing them to Mckiver OWFW are killing them for contract rendering service.!..Or lincese fees hard @ work! :mad:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the info. I will have to find another place close to the area. Any ideas? :shrug:

·
Registered
4,840 Posts
I feel your pain guys. I sure miss fishing the upper Salmon and Zig Zag in the Fall with flies, and rock hopping from the mouth of the Salmon down to Brightwood Bridge with a pocketful of spinners in the Summer.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Well, I have seen some pretty big fish jumping around in that river? I fish it about 10 times a year, in the summer. If they are trout, they are trophy size!!

·
Registered
676 Posts
omg im 44 and do remember fishing the collawash for summers in october and november,was just an awesome river to fish,great place to take someone that had never been into a ****ed of steelhead before ahhhh the memory's it brings back :cheers:

·
Registered
4,570 Posts
Are there no steelhead in the upper Sandy and Salmon rivers these days or do they have it closed to protect and hopefully bring back a native run of summers?

My brother and I spent many a day during high school and college chasing those fish from the mouth of the Salmon on up both rivers. The stretch of river right below the fly only section on the Salmon is where I hooked into my first steelhead on a fly and was always a favorite.

·
Registered
217 Posts
DigitalRecall
Just go a lil futher downstream an fish below Marmot Dam..go below the deadline..lots of fish to be had,,,@ the gate go over the hill thats called slaughter hole*..I know the trap is full everyday..good luck

·
Registered
4,840 Posts
Sandy does have a historic run of wild Summers, albeit very small. I've only caught three in the 12 years I fished that stretch.
Mark Bachman has done exhaustive research on this but I think the closure was more in line with keeping hatchery Summers out of the late Winter wild run spawning areas since they spawn about the same time.
When Marmot is removed I guess there will be NO MORE Summers released in the Sandy period. Part of the phasing out is releasing smolts from Cedar Cr. downstream, I think they dump some at Dodge too.
Too bad, the crowds at Cedar Cr. have kept me away this year.
IMO there is plenty of room for the wild fish and the hatchery Summers. By the end of Fall anglers have picked off a huge number of hatchery fish in the upper reaches and it is a fact that not all the natives spawn in the upper river. I can find a half dozen spots where wild fish spawn only in Oxbow Park.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Originally posted by Floatin Mule:
DigitalRecall
Just go a lil futher downstream an fish below Marmot Dam..go below the deadline..lots of fish to be had,,,@ the gate go over the hill thats called slaughter hole*..I know the trap is full everyday..good luck
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">I think that I will try your advice. I have never fished the Sandy, let alone the area you mentioned. Thanks for the advice.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts