IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
5,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The zipperlip controversy never ends, Id like to know how many people have actually gone out of thier way to fish a spot that has been posted here at IFish. Theres no need to elaborate, or shame yourself by admitting it, but I have a hunch that theres NOT a significant number of people who actually load up the gear and travel to an unfamiliar spot simply due to the mere mention of it here on IFish.

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Bryan, pay attention!!! You might realize something new! :hoboy:

·
Premium Member
14,501 Posts
the one thing your poll can't account for is lurkers who aren't registered and do go fish unfamiliar waters based on what's posted here. i think among ifishers, when a hot report gets posted, we read the tea leaves and make a choice among the most likely of our favorite spots.

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Ampersat: :cheers:

******: I think you are off-base on that comment. I am not trying to pile on anyone. Read the Cedar Creek post and you might understand better where I am coming from. If not, then I guess we just don't see eye to eye on everything.

No offence directed toward you personally because I enjoy reading your stuff.

·
Registered
5,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Amp, very true, but one good thing about the non-member lurkers: they dont come in here and snivel about someone posting thier favorite spot on the internet and lead a thread with good intentions so far from its original topic!

The poll could have been worded differently and generated a different result. Its not easy to analyze the results simply by the numbers. I imagine there will be many who have never fished a posted hotspot a few days after the "cat" was let out of the bag here, who will click on YES anyway simply because they dont want information shared.

I dont expect the poll will clearly indicate a problem with overcrowding a hole due to a post here, because not all who vote yes have visited the same hole on the same day as a result of the same post.

I just cant imagine anyone being so desperate for a chance at a fish, that they abandon thier own spots, and go to an unfamiliar hole they've never been to knowing 4000+ members read the same report the day before.

The zipperlip controversy is blown way out of proportion in my opinion, and I hope the results of this pole will do one thing...stop the senseless bickering and personal attacks from those who think a positive detailed report is taboo here.

I had seven hook ups on the Coquille yesterday and landed five in 3 hours of fishing. Whats the harm in this? Will anyone be headed to the Coq tomorrow Who's never been just because I did well yesterday?
I doubt it!

I'd guess that the people who dont post a detailed positive report avoid it more bacause they fear being bandwagoned here than a fear of "thier" secret hole getting an unwanted crowd the next day.

[ 06-14-2003, 10:36 PM: Message edited by: cirrhosis-of-the-river ]

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
River Disease: :cheers:

·
Registered
2,994 Posts
I always like to read about others catching fish, I am not personally going to drive to the sandy or any oregon rivers because of anything people post on here, i like seeing the fish and the holes and techniques because maybe they will work on simular water on the rivers i fish... And just because you hooked 7 fish today doesn't mean i will even see a fish on that river tomorrow... Remember they swim!!!

·
Qualified Sturgeon Hugger
38,378 Posts
Rick:

It's all in who you are as a human being and how you show it to the world.

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
******, I agree completely. I guess I shouldn't get as irked about someone like that as I did, but debating back with him only fuels the fire, so I suppose your right in the long run to just let it be.

Ryan

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
This is an interesting point and one I have tested on my own. Ask around the river the next time you are out fishing one of those hot spots. Ask the guy next to you if he knows of ifish. 2 years ago at Eagle Cr. I did just that and asked about 10 different people if they knew of ifish. All of them except one said no. The one guy had fished Eagle Cr all his life. All you zipperlipers take a deep breath, it isn't ifish that causes the word to get out. It is the good old fashion word of mouth or maybe a little experience that brings people to that favorite stack up hole...etc.

I must admitt though over the last 5 years I have learned from friends, fishing and hunting news, ifish, watching and asking people, seminars and hard knocks how to catch salmon and steelhead in rivers. Ifish has been a part of the learning curve - just a part.

[ 06-15-2003, 12:46 AM: Message edited by: BUGLEMAN ]

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
If I see a post about a hotspot, I might be on that river somewhere but no where near that particular spot usually, depends on the river. Columbia or willamette maybe. Sandy or a small river probally not.

I don't think IFISH is a huge culprit in the overcrowding of some holes, I think it is word of mouth. Have you seen what a few cell phone calls from the river can do? I have, been on the river on a hot day and see a few guys make calls. Next day there are double the boats of the day before, same thing repeats the following day and double the boats again. Doesn't take long for big crowds to be fishing an area.

I cringe at times when I see reports of particular rivers. But that is the person who posted the info's right. While I may not like the fact that they did it. I just move on to another river if the crowd gets to bad or stay away from the crowded area's. I do my share of combat fishing, Tanner Creek in the fall, Bonneville in the spring. I love having a river to myself just as much as the next guy but it just isn't going to happen all the time. I don't fish weekends at all and have been amazed at some of the weekday crods in the last few years. Adjust your spots to what is presented to you.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I work with a guy who grew up with one of the prominent guides of Washington, Oregon, and Alaska. When any of the "several" of us at work who fish, ask this person how this particular guide is doing.....he says..."here, I'll call him and ask!!"....most of us have met this guide, some even have fished with him. He is quite liberal with his information. PLUS!!....this guy we work with is not the only guy who grew up with this guide. So....needless to say, we can all be sure fishing info of the minute, hour, day, gets around very fast. Fish are where you find them....find them, and hence, you most likely start to catch them. Alot of great advice here, but not alot to realy put your finger on. Russ

·
Registered
3,635 Posts
Actually, there are times where I read iFish and decide not to go somewhere, either because it has been slow, or because it appears that everybody and their brother is there. The best source of good fishing spots that I have found is driving around and looking, with a copy of the fishing regs in my hand. Also, I've looked up obscure articles on the ODFW website to find a good spot to flyfish for native steelhead where there are no hatchery fish, and the water is likely to be by-passed by most fishermen, but good numbers of fish. I like my solitude. The quality of your trip is directly affected by the effort you put into planning, and the most important part of planning is deciding where to go. Ifish is only one of numerous sources of data and information.

happybrew

·
Registered
4,389 Posts
I always appreciate a fishing report, especially when I dont get out fishing that often. It may make my decision on where to go easier, but if anybody thinks that there are still some "zipper" spots on any of the PDX area rivers you gotta be kidding. I appreciate UG giving info on his hot steelie spot last year. I didnt fish it, but i appreciated it none the less. I can think of a few "hot" spots. Cedar creek, rivermill, dog creek, barton, bonnie luhr. Hope that didnt get anyones shorts in a bind

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
We are the World, We are the Children..............

[ 06-17-2003, 04:10 PM: Message edited by: Tanner ]

·
Registered
128 Posts
The zipperlip growth phenomonon follows the exponential growth law found in cell division and other processes. You tell two people, they in turn each tell two people, and pretty soon 3 billion people know about it. The growth rate of an exponential curve is truly amazing.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts