IFish.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seems like more times than not this year my fishing days have been boched. I love to fish and it is so dissapointing to have a day planned for a week only to have a wheel bearing lock up, outdrive die, work get in the way or someone just flaking out of something I so look forward to. If I had a boat I would fish every weekend but I dont.

I started adding it all up and figure I spend about $100 on gas and bait almost everytime I go out anyways so I am thinking about just doing the guide thing at least once a month. I have never liked going out in the ocean on charters simply because it just seems so commercial. 10 guys in the boat all rods in the water and never slowing down to play with an 8ib silver. Just reel the fish in as it skips across the wake. To me thats just no fun.

I have never fished with a guide around B10, T-bay, or the Nehalem so I am wondering how different it is to fish with them there. I would like to find a guide for these fisheries that over time just turns into a friendship where my $100 is looked upon as a fishing buddy contributing to the cause. I want to find a guide who enjoys fishing as much as I do, not one who simply has the attitude the sooner I hook you up with fish the sooner I can go home.

So if anyone has a guide that they really enjoy fishing with as well as spending time with because lets face it, it is called fishing not catching, let me know who they are because this looks like it maybe the only way my fishing buddies wont flake out on me.

·
Registered
11,223 Posts
Hey I got an open seat for next Thursday... last one! :grin:

I went fishing with David Johnson last year to learn a thing or three about Tillamook. The guy is a great guide and a wonderful conversationist... he definately keeps you entertained even if the fishing is a little slow. I would highly reccomend him. :cool:

If you want to find new fishing buddies start asking about open seats or responding to open seats when they are posted. I met all three of my fishing buddies via open seat posts... yep thats right Team Carrot Milk was formed by XTC taking Bobby out on an open seat, I took Zaq on an open seat then I met XTC through an open seat post... the rest is history. :grin: So, dont be afraid to meet new people, you never know the next guy could be the one you are fishing with 25 years form now!

:cheers:

·
Registered
13,619 Posts
If you are new to a particular fishery, or new to fishing at all a guide will save you time and money. That's right save time and money.

No matter what fishery you are thinking about, there are a few top notch guys who work there. They have forgotten more about it than many of us will ever know. For a day on the water, you can get the basics down. And maybe a few tips too!

Good Luck.

Mark and the dog.

·
Registered
8,038 Posts
We have our days when it's lights out and all tags are punched but for the most part fishing is a day long activity.

I sell my trips as 8 hour trips but most the time we are out there 9, 10 sometimes 12 yours, this happens more often than the limit at 10 and head in.

I have many clients that have fished with me for years, some my whole career. They are friends and there's always a good time to be had.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
5-cents thanks for the offer. I appreciate that. Problem is I never have any time off during the week. Only weekends. Seems like most open seat posts fall during the week. I am definatly not opposed to meeting new people, especially anyone from this board.

David I would be interested in going out with you. I dont suppose you have any openings next weekend? I will just happen to be in Long beach at my mother-inlaws looking for an escape from the several games of cards. Send me an email and let me know. I would also like to go out to t-bay for some larger fall nooks a little later in the season.

[email protected]

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Book a trip with Ted Wade for some Nehalem fishing! He's a great guy and a funny character. Besides, Nehalem this time of year is beautiful. Cant wait to get my bobber in the water. :grin:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts