IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My boat came with a lowerance lcx-15 and i cant get fish to show as archs.When i switch to the fish symbol for identifying fish from stucture it shows fish but when i switch off i get no archs showing fish.I'm wondering if there is a way to turn the system off and start from scratch.It seems like a great system but i want more than a system to read structure i need to see archs so i can kill some fish.Please help my wife is threatening to buy fish.

·
Registered
3,505 Posts
Here is the best place to start

http://www.lowrance.com/Tutorials/Sonar/sonar_tutorial_10.asp

I have a X15 and it will show arches, they are not always fully defined but as you get to know the system you will know the arches. Turn your sensativity up, turn the signal filters off, and arches only show up when you are going ssssllloooowwwww. You will find that fish will arch diffrent if you are going up stream or down stream. Also go to

http://www.lowrance.com/Software/Upgrades/upgrades.asp

and make sure you have the lastes software update, check you units software version from the main system menu. The latest update made the unit much better.

·
Registered
58 Posts
The only thing I might add is that you might be trying to look at too much water. If you are in 100' of water and looking at 0-100' you may not see arches. Try adjusting the range to what you are fishing for, like 0-40 for silvers, or 80-120 for bottom dwelling species. Also your transducer position is important. It must be pointed straight down when the boat is under way.

By the way, most fish do not show up as arches. They must pass perfectly through the sonar cone to viewed as a perfect arch. Instead, you get partial arches with an occasional good one.

Now, I have a question for you guys with your X-15s. When you shut them off and then turn them back on, do they "remember" your settings? Or do they just come up in the same default mode?

·
Registered
551 Posts
I am glad you are turning off the fish id feature. It is probably wrong most of the time, they are easily fooled. The only good thing about fish id features is the ability to turn it off.

Turn up your sensitivity, even if the autosensitivity is on. I turn mine up until I get spots on the screen, then I click it down 1%.

I agree with TideRipper about the fish having to pass through the cone to get a full arch. If you see a partial arch, try to zoom in on it. It will look more like an arch. When the unit is turned off, all settings are kept.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts