IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having a problem with my fishfinder. It show fish ALL THE TIME. I would have no problem if I really thought that there were fish, but I know better! It does not matter what my depth is I have fish on the screen at all depths. I turn the gain to manual (35%) and see very few if any. How do I know what the correct setting is? It is a Raymarine 440X (I think).

thanks

· Banned
8,470 Posts
I am having a problem with my fishfinder. It show fish ALL THE TIME. I would have no problem if I really thought that there were fish, but I know better! It does not matter what my depth is I have fish on the screen at all depths. I turn the gain to manual (35%) and see very few if any. How do I know what the correct setting is? It is a Raymarine 440X (I think).

thanks
got a manual?...better than just playing with the controls??

· Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I do have the manual. The manual says (as does the website) that the "auto fishing" setting for the gain should be used and that the fishfinder's technology will automatically adjust for most conditions. I was just wondering if anyone else has this issue. Everything else seems to work just fine. Speed is pretty consistent with the GPS, depth seems to be OK, all other items good. When I put the "target / depth" setting to "fish" or "fish and depth" it shows me of fish all over the screen all of the the time.

thanks

· Registered
1,684 Posts
When I put the "target / depth" setting to "fish" or "fish and depth" it shows me of fish all over the screen all of the the time.

thanks

That is actually pretty common with all fish finders when you activate the fish icons. My old Garmin would do it and so does my Raymarine DS500X. The fish finder doesn't really know what is a fish and what isn't. Bascially any target that is suspended in the water column becomes a fish to the software and is reported as such. When you have the fish ID off you can actually see the minute debris that the system was telling you was a fish. When looking at the raw data, based on the size, shape and color of the mark, you will know if it is a fish or not.

Bottom line, the Fish ID function is a gimmick and not worth much. Turn it off and learn to read the display and tune (if needed) to get the results you want.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.