IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having trouble deciding on which fishfinder to buy. The two I am considering are the Lowrance LMS-320 or the Lowrance X-18 color. Do I really need color for $1200 installed or go with the 320 for $ 650?

·
Registered
180 Posts
We have had the X-16 for about two years. It's an older version of the X-18. We love it. Shows great detail and the best feature of the color is that it is easy to see and read. Also, no problems in the two years and lots of use.

·
Administrator
41,375 Posts
I've been running the LMS320DF. It works like a champ. I really thought I wanted color, but I don't miss it. The smaller size means I'm pulling less juice from the box and I think I worry less about it growing feet and disappearing. When I'm fishing, I rely primarily on the text display of depth and relative water speed. Yeah, the color is a lot more visible, but it's a big premium.

[ 10-13-2003, 04:11 PM: Message edited by: Pete ]

·
Registered
640 Posts
I have the 16 MT, a monochrome version.....and I don't miss color at all. It tells me all I need to know at 1/2 the price.

Kurt

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I appreciate it guys. I fish exclusively in the Columbia river for Steelhead and have never had a color finder. I never really use my fish finder but the GPS is used everyday because of thick fog. Thanks again for the info. Still don't know what I want though. Good point about theft, never though of that.

·
Registered
3,158 Posts
TS
There was a great article examining the difference between color and gray-scale LCD graphs in the April-May 2003 issue of Salmon, Trout,Steelheader Magazine. The comparisons were in big water and the color units were found to be superior, but for your use it might be over-kill. Anyway it's a good read. Good Luck

1 - 6 of 6 Posts