IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey all, i just got a little chief smoker for my birthday and i have lots of fresh sandy river coho fillets in my freezer. i've never used a smoker before
and i'm wondering if its necessary to remove the skin from the fillets for smoking? :whazzup: i usually leave the skin on for bbq'ing. will leaving the skin on affect the smoking?
thanks,
jbug

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
I've never used/owned a smoker before - but it's on my wish list that my better half has seen for xmas. :wink:

Uh.... * snip *

Good luck!

StinkyH

[ 10-15-2003, 10:25 PM: Message edited by: StinkyH ]

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
If you remove the skin, your fish will stick to the racks. Leave the skin on and lay it skin side down on the rack. It gets plenty of smoke flavor this way.

Dipnet :grin:

·
Registered
35 Posts
Definitely leave the skin on. Bears only eat the skin because it has all the fat. If you take off the skin you'll end up with jerky. Which would you rather eat a rib eye or top round?

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
definitely leave the skin on ... more flavor... i like to leave it on even when packaging it up - but sometimes it will fall off. be sure to put a light coat of oil on the racks or non stick spray etc...

·
Premium Member
11,041 Posts
Do a quick search for earlier smoking threads which have lots of good info.

·
Registered
147 Posts
.... and spray the racks with a vegetable spray (like Pam). Makes cleanup easier.

John

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Definatly use something like Pam on your racks
it really makes clean-up easier !!!,as far as the skin goes,I've done it both ways like it both
ways :whazzup: ,I do take the skin off when canning it.Why don't you try it both ways and make up your own mind.
Bob

·
Registered
169 Posts
For rack clean up put in black garbage bag spray with oven cleaner seal it up good and set out in the sun as long as you can, couple hour will do most the time. Take them out and rinse with garden hose. I do my oven racks same way!

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Line the drip tray with foil, it saves cleaning time as well.

·
Registered
83 Posts
do not i repeat do not brine your fish in water three cups brown sugar 1 cup kosher salt layer the fish meat side up spinkel each layer with the mix. 12 hrs. rinse well place the fish in the smoker on the racks let it dry 12 in a bug free environment. smoke eight or so with heavy smoke only the first four. it will be the best you have ever had.

·
Registered
784 Posts
These another thread where Fishabonus provides a fool proof dry rub that is supposed to be good on any kind of fish.

I have since smoked two batches of coho using his dry rub and it is excellent. I've been smoking fish for several years: salmon, steelhead, trout, and sturgeon....and as far as I'm concerned, I'll never use a wet brine again. The dry rub is great. :cheers:

·
Registered
6,494 Posts
I just made my first attempt at smoking a coho i caught last weekend.. although it wasn't perfect it came out really well for my first time i think.. I followed the instructions i got from
http://salmonuniversity.com/rs_htss01_index.html

great instructions that are easy to follow.. Also i recommend using a wood with some sweetness. apple or cherry would be great..

[ 10-16-2003, 10:30 PM: Message edited by: rob allen ]

1 - 15 of 15 Posts