IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Banned
8,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's great to see all the fish pics of late but a few tips may help in getting a great Fish pic.

1. Wash your prize before photo.
Clean off blood, sand, all foriegn matter
to show it's true Beauty, your proud of.

2. Place sun behind the camera and photographer.
It will greatly enhance the Chromer. Provided you have sun.

3. Set your camera setting (digital) 1600 x 1200
Resize to 300 x 225 and you'll still have a
great pic to post.(This info was edited
after reading Jennie's reply) :bowdown:

4. Last but not least...Smile. :grin:

and if your XTC, Change your clothes once in awhile. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

[ 04-23-2003, 08:22 AM: Message edited by: Fshklr ]

·
Administrator
119,612 Posts
Tips that make extra special pictures:

Wear something bright, or at the very best, red! Erickson has a red coat he always let's people borrow at the house, cuz it takes such good pictures.

I always set my digi to "fine" which is the biggest resolution. You never know when you will take a prize winning photo, and when you do, you can always resize it, resample it, to a webbable size, but you cannot make it finer, or larger.

When taking the pic, have the fish holder adjust the fish until the maximum shine is on the fish. Have him tilt it until those chrome sides blind the camera! :smile:

Hold the fish a little bit out from the holder, but not so far that it looks awkward. It makes the fish look larger. If you overdo it, though, it looks really obvious!

Photo tip from David Falconer: Always focus in on the persons eyes. If the persons eyes are in focus, all else will fall into focus, too. You might try this on the fish's eye. Never done that. :smile:

The number one important tip: Hold your camera steady! If possible lean against something while shooting the photo, if you are shaky at all!

Any more? I love photo tips!

Jen

·
Registered
13,596 Posts
Jen's got it...always take at the highest resolution your camera will do. You can very easily resize a picture smalller, but it doesn't work making it bigger. I run mine at 1600x1200 and resize afterwards.

If you're wearing a cap/hat, take it off (preferred) or tip it back far enough the light gets on the person's full face.

DON'T hold it out in front with arms extended, these pictures almost always look phony, like you're trying to make it look bigger.

If the fish has been in the box awhile, check which side looks the best before the pic.

TR

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
Still haven't figured out how to post 'em...but I've made thousands of photos. Two tips:

1. Get up close for pic of person holding a fish, etc. Don't stand back 10 or 20 feet...get up uncomfortably close and fill the viewfinder with the subject.

2. Frame the shot so the person's head is at the top and their feet near the bottom. Don't center the shot on the head...aim for the belt buckle.

One more: take two or three shots to ensure you get a good one with no eye blinks, etc.

·
Banned
8,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Jen, Rogue, and GSA.
Thanks for the added info. :wink: Those tips are very important Do's for great pics! :grin:
Geek,
I downloaded the Irfanview Resize/Resample program from your link and I love it. Very user friendly. :bowdown:

·
Registered
10,068 Posts
Fill the picture with your subject, take more than one photo. You can edit out the ones on the spot with a digital. Look for a quality background, many of my photos show all the fishing stuff like boxes, bait containers, rags etc. that is not all that attractive. Get some trees, beach etc in the background.

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
If you are the photographer, tell your subject how to hold the fish (tilt the back of the fish toward/away from you). Your subject can't tell what you see through the camera.....so give them some guidance before you click the pic.

·
Registered
4,264 Posts
I think the most important one there is the SMILE. So many people take pictures of fish like they are all grumpy and spit. You just caught an awesome fish, something alot of people can't do, be happy about it.
I mean look at me:

I tried to smile, but this hog was too heavy to hold up yesterday.

Just to emphasize again, SMILE, it does make a better picture.

[ 04-23-2003, 11:09 AM: Message edited by: ZaQ ]

·
Registered
4,207 Posts
The only tip I would add is to focus on the FISH'S eye, and not the holder's eye. The fish is the most important object in the picture, so it has to be in focus. Another good way to show a fish is the shotgun pose which adds a different perspective

Just another photographic option

Sub

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Fshklr maybe I really like those cloths. My girlfriend is threating to throw them away :mad: :mad: . Don't worry I was them at least once a month :tongue: :tongue: .....Chris

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
One thing I'd add related to Fshklr's comment about having the sun at the back of the photographer, don't put the sun directly on the fish, a slight angle so it doesn't reflect back at the camera. You get some nice detail without reflection off the shiny fish.

One mistake in this pic is losing part of the fish in the pic.

·
Banned
8,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Brion,
Are you refering to something like this?
This pic is from an earlier post by Chris,(Fishnxtc)
Truely an AWESOME pic of pure CHROME!!

Don't bother changing cloths XTC..I wouldn't recognize you other wise. :laugh: :bowdown:

[ 04-24-2003, 08:23 AM: Message edited by: Fshklr ]

·
Registered
3,581 Posts
I didn't see it here, but I'd reccommend setting your camera to "Flash", in all outdoor conditions..especially those dark, wet days. Works good on nice sunny days too by filling in the shadows.

Mark

1 - 19 of 19 Posts