IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Saw it on the OPB website. I wonder what the agencies will do now. Maybe the managers will now have to sit and count fish. :cool:

· Registered
2,611 Posts
Senator Craig is a piece o' work. Does the phrase "in the pocket of the special interests" ring a bell?

Without counts, the folks who care nothing about fish runs, or habitat, or anything but their next campaign war chest, can continue to set national policy. The people of Idaho who care about fishing should turn him into the lobbyist he already is. JMHO.

Tim Hopkinson

· Registered
3,586 Posts
It is a real shame and when you think about all the money that was spent around seven years ago to build this "state of the art" facility it is almost criminal to close it down.

BCF

· Administrator
40,980 Posts
This is the Fish Passage Center that counts fish at all the Columbia dams ... we've been posting about this possibility for months. Our federal elected officials let the rider on the appropriations bill survive.

Without reliable, scientific fish counts, both fish and fishers lose.

I think I may have eaten my last Idaho potato. Senator Craig, I hope there is justice in the world for you.

· Registered
253 Posts
So does this mean that all fish counting over Bonneville and the other Columbia dams is ending? What about DART and the Army Corps of Engineers? Who actually has been in charge of doing the counting?

· Administrator
40,980 Posts
The Fish Passage Center has been responsible for counting. There are other agencies that count here and there, but lack the independence necessary to earn them scientific peer reviewed approval. Also, the FPC ran the pit tagging program to count out-migrants. No other agency does that. They also monitor critical habitat, like the chum spawning areas below Bonneville. No one else does that. There are some agencies that do some parts of the process, but none that do it all and some things are not done by anyone else. Money beat science on this one.

· Registered
16,928 Posts
Yup. We've sure seen this before -- "No data, no problem"

You've got a good idea Pete. The FPC's budget is so modest, Oregon's governor ought to step up and fund it out of the state's budget. Heck, split it with Washington.

· Banned
19,821 Posts
There will be a number of lawsuits that will holed this up for years, let's just wait to see how Judge Redden reacts to this one!

Does this sound familiar? Why must we sue the federal government, in order to get them to do the right thing?

VOTE PRO SALMON

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.