IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Scallywag
3,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I use the large silver ones for the most flash effect. I think they attract better. I did buy some medium and small ones for clear water use.

I also just bought some red and green ones of assorted sizes to try at the 101 bridge next trip, and on the Willy in the spring.

I have been converted from the dodgers.

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
We've had very good success with either red or green in medium size attached to red or green Delta divers. Mix or match. I'd never use a dodger again.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
I use nothing but mediums, in various colors. I still use a dodger once in a while, but it is only when I am pulling a hoochie and I want some action. The fishFlash don't wiggle your bait around like a dodger.

·
Registered
6,569 Posts
How much do you think it costs to produce a "Fish Flash" ?

Any home plastic fabricators out there making their own?

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
I make all my own divers and flashers. It is a lot cheaper, but a headache trying to find the materials at a decent price. I think my last batch of flashers was 10, with variable sizes, and I spent approximately 20 bucks on them. This cost included all of the plexiglas, bait tape and swivels. The bait tape is the hard part to find. You can get it at places like Bi-mart, but its $3 per 20 square inches, and that isn't enough for one flasher. I have started using stickers from vending machines, and candy containers, like my favorite, ICE BREAKER mints, the chinook love the green label. The American Flag Flasher we made with reflective American flag stickers is pretty hot as well.

·
Registered
99 Posts
When you are rigging the fish-flash with a diver, do you separate them on the leader, or tie the fish-flash directly behind the diver?

I always thought you would put the fish-flash about half way down the leader, but the current issue of STS looks like it is showing the fish-flash directly behind the diver.

A few days ago I fished this configuration:

main line -> bead chain swivel -> delta diver -> bead chain swivel -> clip -> bead chain swivel -> fish-flash -> bead chain swivel -> leader

and I was still getting severe twist on the nylon line connected to the delta diver. Was thinking of switching to a deep six to prevent this, but still, with all those bead chains I wouldn't expect any line twist.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Just wondering what some opinions are on the size of Fish Flash to use. I used the biggest ones I could get last year and modified them a bit. I seemed to have good results. Just wondering what you all are using.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Outdoor.spec.ops,
Take a look at the web site for Pacific Ocean Producers <you'll have to search for it> Click on Sport fishing then accessories and you should see reflective tape. They have at least 20+ colors and patterns all 6" wide rolls at $1.95 per foot. I've purchased from them lately and they were great. They even called me to ask if they could substitute because they were back ordered on one of the patterns. I bought 3 feet of 6 different silvers and the products were great quality. They may be able to help keep your costs down a little bit.
Would you consider posting a couple of pictures of the process you use to fabricate your 'fishflash'? I would love to try to make my own as well.
Jean

[ 08-14-2003, 09:23 AM: Message edited by: Pete ]

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
Lost sailer,
I make my own flashers. I use .125 lexan which I can cut, then break form in a sheet metal break. It holds it shape perfectly. Then I add the reflective tape which I can get in sheets of different patterns, add some holes, some bead chain, and I'm done. I figure it costs me a few bucks to make, but it beats 10-11 bucks on store bought ones. They work great too.

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
oh, forgot to mention. Pacific coast paint (off Stark) has a variety of reflective tapes. They come on a stock 15" role and you can order as much or as little as you might need. The nice thing is there's not piecing together the stuff. They have some patterns that look like fish scales, should work really great.

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Thanks,
I will look into those sources. I got an email from WITCHCRAFT bait tapes, who is the largest manufacturer of these types of tape, and the can sell it bulk, at around $65 for 100 feet of 5" tape. They make great tape, I just dont think I need 100' of it. Maybe we should look into going in on rolls? May be a possibility in the future.

How I make the flashers? I cut 1/8 inch plexiglass (clear or colored) with a bandsaw, then sand the edges lightly. Then its into the oven at 400 degrees for 3-5 minutes until just flexible. I then bend it the way I want, quickly run it under the faucet, and then let it dry. Please use THICK gloves for handling the hot plexiglass.

After cooled, I hand them to my wife, who creatively sticks bait tape to the flashers. All shapes of tape and stickers, all colors. As long as it refects, they have been working. You can also use pieces of space blanket on them as well to give them more flash, but this is kinda tedious. I drill them last, and then add swivels. I drill them last, because SOMETIMES the plexi breaks at the drill holes while bending them. Be creative, have fun, and don't be afraid to try hideous looking flashers, they have been producing for me.

The divers are made the same way, with small steel bar stock and plastic, some plexi-some from old milk boxes. I then thread, and apply to a piece of plexyglass. I will post some pics if I get a chance to barrow a digital camera. I started making the divers because I could not find any Oregon Divers like we used in the early 90's. I modified some of them, just my preference.

Good luck, happy fishing. Its almost time to put away the flashers here, and pick up the bow and go inland--haha. On the fishing side, its begining mooching time, when I only use lead and leader. Last two mooching trips have been pretty prodctive, with one fish bending the hooks :hoboy: I don't know how, wasn't my rod.

·
Administrator
41,360 Posts
I've posted this before, but I made some fish flashes with sheet aluminum and reflective tape. The tape was $8 for a 3" by 25 foot roll. The aluminum was $5 for a sheet that yeilded 12 fish flashes. I added some prismatic eyes, just on general principle. Cost per unit is under a dollar. The aluminum ones are about 10% lighter than the acrylic ones and seem to work fine.

·
Scallywag
3,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Dang, those are pretty! If it wasn't for the patent, you could be rich! :wink:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts