IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was looking for a couple of opinions on this Fish Finder . Getting rid of the unfaithfull fishing buddie. And moving up to somthing more reliable yet affordable. If any one is using one of these or knows about them please give me some input. It will be going on our Aluminum DB.

Thanks
CM

·
Registered
5,290 Posts
I don't have experience with that unit, but for $70 more you can get the Eagle 320 which is a nice unit for the money.

[ 04-16-2003, 03:38 PM: Message edited by: FallRiverGuy ]

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The reason we're looking at the fish finder mentioned above is that it is totally portable. From battery to suction cup mounted transduser.

Thanks
CM

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
since i am on a roll....never saw i fish i caught on the finder.....seen lots of fish i missed though.....

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
Check out the new Lowrance X-67 Color unit. Just saw it in Cabela's catalog for $339 w/ speed & temp!!! :shocked:

·
Premium Member
14,399 Posts
hey corkie,
let me start by saying that i don't have a fish finder (hah! but we'll get to that) and can't give you an educated opinion on the one you're looking at. however, here are some ideas you might find useful in your window shopping:

1. a fish finder will find fish but it doesn't find biters. folks mark fish all the time on the finder but still go home empty handed. knowing what depth you're working in conjunction with a lot of other factors will determine whether your chosen tactic is a good one.
2. color is waaaaaay overrated and really expensive. save your bucks for good plugs and scents.

what you're really in it for is to show you how deep the water is and what the contours of the bottom are. speed and temp are good things to know, but spending another $100+ to find out through the finder isn't a good price.

you can get a $10 thermometer to tell you how cold the water is but what would you change in your tactics because of the water temp? what good does knowing temp do except that maybe it'll induce that nagging feeling that you should've stayed home.

another couple of bucks will tell you your trolling speed through a variety of nifty devices. however, these folks who think it makes a difference if you're going upstream or downstream never learned about einstein's theory of relativity. 5mph upstream is the same as 5mph downstream. you should be able to dial in your speed by the sound of the motor and how many RPM's you're turning.

i was hunting through the archives today and came across a post about how you really don't need the wizbang toys to catch fish. sometimes, the folks with dumpy fiberglass boats and eagle claw rods catch more fish.

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OK, The main reason we are getting a new fish fish finder is for finding the depth, and what the bottom looks like. That is pretty much all we need it for. The one we have now, "The Fishing Buddie 1200" Sucks and only decides to work when it wants it too. We don't need anything fancy.

Thanks
CM

·
Registered
846 Posts
I've had three Eagles over the last few years and have had excellent results with all of them. Moved up to a Legend 3000D last summer, and love it. But,,,,I'm gonna put my old Eagle back on the boat as a backup and second finder, and mount it back at the stern where I can see it from the kicker tiller. Go with it, it looks like a great unit for what you are using it for. Might check with CME (Consumer's Marine Electronics) on the net for a better price. I have bought from them and a lot of my friends have too. They give excellent service, and are very helpful,,,,,and they are usually substantially less money,,,

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
That unit has everything I look for in a FF.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts