IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
22,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
FYI, everyone...
Audubon Society said this morning that the bird discovered in the belly of a 50-pound chinook Sunday was probably a Cassin's Auklet, a small diving bird. Story was in the paper this morning, but followup and ID will be next week. Thought you might like to know.

I didn't have time to ask ifishers, but would be interested in hearing about wierd things you've found in salmon and steelhead stomachs...or any fish, for that matter...

thanks.

·
Registered
15,722 Posts
I guess I'll start putting a saiwash on a small diver decoy - hmmmm....I see cast and blast in my future.

ors :laugh:

·
Premium Member
22,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Caught on the ocean side of Twin Rocks, so yes, out of Tillamook, but not in the bay.

·
Registered
3,583 Posts
Last weekend we caught 4 nice silvers at the CR bouy and one had 3 cut plug herring in its belly. The guy that I was fishing with that day is the only guy that fishes cut plug in the ocean, so catching the fish that was stealing his bait all day was a treat. I even noticed one cut that he messed up on and it was in there also. It was really weird to see.

I am sure this not weird compared to some of will be posted.

Jet~~~

Jet~~~

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
I had a friend years back that saw a springer go after a small bird up in the falls in OC. He climbed past the dead line and was watching the kegged up fish when it happened.

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
Hmm... the tide turns. I haven't caught a Chinook with a diving bird in it, but I did catch a little diving duck while trolling a plug cut for Chinook at 75 feet between the N Jetty and Arch rocks!
Felt like a trout was playing with my bait for about 5 minutes. I finally reeled up knowing that something realy small was on there. We were more than a little surprised when that little diving duck guy broke the surface.
We were also pretty sure that the poor little guy was drowned and dead, he just hung there like a limp noodle when we picked him up by the leader. Lemmee tell ya..... when that ducks tail hit the bottom of the boat it was a different story. He woke up real quick. Man, was he P.O.'d! :mad: :shocked:

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Gives a whole new meaning to the term "fly fishing".....sorry, couldn't resist. I can see the parakeets at the local pet store going on back order during fall chinook season.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
I know of a small pond in Wa that has large mouth, my uncle caught one with a blackbird in its gut!

·
Qualified Sturgeon Hugger
38,369 Posts
Are they sure it wasn't a Caspian Tern? And maybe the salmon had an eye patch? "Okay birdy, you may not remember me, but I remember you." [Slurp] :wink:

·
Registered
266 Posts
My dad owns a small ranch in central Texas with a stock tank loaded with bass. Last year he found a small bird (don't remember what kind he said it was) in the stomack of one of those bass.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Bill, I caught a 223 pound Halibut in Elfin Cove Alaska and after weighing and taking pics and meeting Jack Daniels I wanted to see what this brute had been eating as I caught him on a LJ 7 oz. Mother of Pearl Krocodile on 40 pound UG Maxima line. He had two large rocks that were bigger than softballs and a couple of Vermillion in the 12 and one 'bout 15 pounds class in this cavernous stomach!!! The rocks puzzled me but they must be used for emulsifying and breaking down it's feed. Also Bill I was fishing outside of Newport last August for Kings and we kept marking feed in 35+ fathoms short N of the entrance and when we landed our first King of 20 ish pounds I gutted him to inspect the feed it had been eating and I found 3 7-8inch Sole that were as big as a man's HAND! They were brownish dark like and had orange spots. Butter sole? We did limit 3 people and at dockside all stomachs were full of these sole. Go figure! My hoochies were only 4.5 inches. Go Yankees!!!!! "Happiness is a Bent Rod!" :grin:

·
Premium Member
22,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The halibut's rocks were probably accidental.

One of photographer Steve Nehl's (Steve, call me) favorite daydreams is about fishing for halibut in Iceland. When he was there shooting photos for a Keiko story, they went to an offshore island where birds were nesting. The halibut have learned to come near the surface at these islands in the spring and eat eggs that frequently drop into the ocean. Steve is convinced he can catch a halibut on a dry fly tied to look like an egg...

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
a to passive beaver alumni or yes he's back and it is football season. Go Beavers.

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
I have caught 2 Steelhead with Water Ozul feathers in them.

Also, a Steelhead with a Orange peel piece in it.

fop

·
Registered
3,354 Posts
I recall reading in the old Oregon Journal a question by some reader who had witnessed a fish going after a swallow on the upper Deschutes. The question what fish would have done that? The answer supplied by Tom McCallester(sic) was a brown trout.

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
We caught our limits of brook trout in a small lake in california and when i cleaned my fish , I think 3 of my 5 fish had cigarette buts in their bellies, Can that be considered chumming? :shrug: Get them hooked on nicotine and they will bite like crazy :laugh: .

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
I caught a winter steelie on the Siletz that had a 1.5" diameter Teflon Washer plugged up in it's vent! I'm sure I did him some pleasure by putting the crease to his head. Can you imagine spawning with a Teflon Washer in your vent?? Ouch!!

Anyway, didn't taste any different than any other steelie I've eaten ;-)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts